retardation...its a wonder people like this can drive

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Aug 1, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

It's not as bad as that chap in Italy who decided to shoot a driver who had laughed as he overtook him... :rolleyes:

Nutters! :rolleyes:

2. evil macrumors 6502

i thought it was going to be a thread about people that talk on their cell/smoke/read/put on makeup when they drive.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not like me facing be shot at for going 5 mph over the speed limit on our Intestates in the DC area (and this being in the two or three right hand lanes of four).

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Pretty much the only time I do the exact speed limit, is when somebody comes up behind me at way over the speed limit, then tailgates me. It's pretty fun to do 35 on my big long country road after the ricer dude behind me blows the stop-sign just to see how fast he can go.

A guy that lives down the street from me almost ran down my mom and my dog, because he was racing on my road. I figure it's the least I can do.

5. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

A year or so ago my dad and I saw some woman reading a full length book while going on the freeway at about 60mph, and as she was about to enter a fairly narrow tunnel. It was so creepy...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The thing is that this sort of behavior can get you shot in many urban areas. And IMO only because the budgets for police have been trimmed to the barest levels. In Fairfax County the elected officials have pointed readily that we have the lowest crime rate of many counties. Even though that they fund other things that have stripped the Police over the last 10 years by 20 to 30% in their resources.

Just imagine how much safer we could be that there was a national standard as to the number of peace officers per a thousand. The law breakers (speeder, red light runners, and many others) will hate this. We have allowed law breakers the ability to to have they freedom to do what they want.

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

That's why I limit my law-abiding speed to Creamery road, in front of people that go to my school and not scary downtown Green Bay.

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I'm in Fairfax county for several months, chip, and the traffic here is amazing (at least from a michiganians perspective :)). I never realized just how much traffic you could have at six in the morning or even any time of the day. And the roads here don't go anywhere in particular. They make no sense. Haven't you people ever heard of placing roads on a grid?!? :D

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

They shouldhave put you over in Montgomery County in MD, the traffic starts buikld there at 5AM, or in Prince William or Frederick County Virginia. They also start at 5AM.

10. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nothing compares to manila gridlock!!! here the speed limit is almost never reached because its always a crawl

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In Toronto, people drive the speed limit, or maybe 5 to 10 km/h (around 3 to 6 mph) over the limit during the morning hours. I don't. I go around 9 mph over the limit and I stick out like a sore thumb. C'mon, its not THAT fast. On Yonge Street, there are some parts of it that should be at a much higher speed limit, but it's kept low. In the middle of the day, the speeders come out. They don't speed well over the limit, but they'll go a decent speed. Everyone does. Its almost like people only realize how slow the limits are in the afternoon.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is not that it is that much faster than allowed. It about respect for the law, and what society expects. not pegging you alone, but that attitude allows for it to creep into other areas that it matters. Breaking the law, is breaking the law.

13. kerb macrumors regular

do any of you lot have GATSO cameras?

ie. speed cameras at random parts of the road which take a digital image when you speed, then a few days later you get a fine through the post.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We have something like that in DC proper. It is a crock IMO, since the roads they choose you take your life in your hands if you do less than 10mph over the limit. they never use them on what I call marginal roads where it might work to slow down the drivers.

15. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

The City of San Jose started its full time NASCOP in November, 1998. This program is designed to address residents' speeding and safety concerns on local neighborhood streets, and to complement regular police enforcement.

NASCOP is used on local neighborhood streets, with a 25-30 m.p.h. speed limit. A staff person uses a parked van containing a speed-sensing radar unit, and two cameras. The radar unit triggers the cameras to take pictures of the front and back of any vehicle driving faster than a predetermined amount over the speed limit. The registered owner of the vehicle, identified through their license plate numbers, receives a notice in the mail. The notice instructs the owner how to make an appointment to come in to the Department of Transportation Office to view and identify the pictures or how to respond by mail. Speeding citations may be issued as a result of the appointment or mail responses. If owners choose to ignore the notice or fail to appear for their appointments, citations may still be issued by staff checking the speeding photos against driver's license photos.

This program works best in neighborhoods where there has been a chronic speeding problem, not remedied through other efforts. NASCOP will not be used where residents have not previously contacted the Police Department for speed enforcement. In order for the program to be successful, it must be requested and supported by the majority of residents within a neighborhood through a petition, as it will primarily be neighborhood residents who may receive citations through this program.

Signs identifying the neighborhood as a photo-radar zone will be posted prior to enforcement at neighborhood perimeters, and/or the streets being enforced. This is to ensure that the program is not hidden, but visible. The idea is to slow traffic, not issue citations. Each selected area will receive regular, random enforcement.

I frequently use two streets that have the warning "Speed Enforced by Photo Radar" sign. I have only seen the camera vans about 4 times since 2001 but it does make me slow down a bit on those roads unless I can tell there is no van parked on the side.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I will say that when I arrived in the DFW area, was the attention to school zones. I was surprised when I saw people slowing down to 10mph at schools even without police in attendance.

They never could be sure where the police were. God love Texas.

17. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Speaking of cameras and radar used for ticketing, Herndon, Va has an ingenious (albeit aggravating) method of keeping the speed down. Just today I noticed probably 4 or 5 lights that would change to red if you were caught speeding in before the light. These stinkin' virginians. :D

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Road rage seems to have become a real problem world wide. It's the violence that is uncalled for in these incidences.

19. evil macrumors 6502

actually. you could blame the terrible driving that is also uncalled for that sets the violence off. i dont condone violence, but seriously people should learn to drive better.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's so slow! The slowest limit we have here is 50. I couldn't imagine driving at 30 :eek:

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know. Here in the US. You don't see speed limits that low except in parking lots maybe rounding a rather wicked curve on a mountain road even then its the yellow speed limit signs.

Maybe in school zones.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

30 km/h is pretty normal on some smaller streets inside of towns ("30er-Zone") for the ones with more traffic it is normally 50km/h or for the big ones up to 60km/h

high speed driving is going strong on those streets (few on the 30km/h because they are most of the times very narrow or have lot's of corners)
    radar speed controls (either from cars or boxes) are everyday business here
    there are about 7-8 boxes around in our town which sometimes are activated and somtimes are not

edit:actually there have been even a few 20 km/h signs around but all of them got replaced for 30km/h signs

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    20!

Do they give tickets to people on bicycles? Sprinting pedestrians?

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

because of that they dropped it (sadly because i live in one of those streets)
    you know it's one of those streets where cars have to pull back sometimes because there is not enough place for 2 of them ;) not really much traffic either (and smaller cars)

personally i know a guy who was stopped by the police for doing more than 30 on a bicycle..he was late for school ..
    the policemen gave him a warning to be more carefull next time and released him with a grin on their faces ;)