iPad Retina display still special?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shenfrey, Feb 9, 2013.

1. shenfrey, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

macrumors 65816

shenfrey

Or have you all had time to adjust? At first I thought it was amazing, but now I'm too used to it and so don't get the same feeling of excitement when I use it anymore. (Both the iPad and iPhone) what about you guys?

2. macrumors regular

Yes I guess it's a bit like colour TV in that respect. I'm too young to remember the days before it, but I can imagine it was a big deal when it first came out. High resolution is the same I guess.

3. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

Used to it but should be the standard now. When I look at an ipad 2 now, it looks like a fuzzy Atari game.

4. macrumors 68020

Well, in 2010 the iPad was like "wow, such a big touchscreen" and now, for many people, it is "just another device". Devices can't stay special forever... at some point you'll get used to them ;)

5. macrumors regular

Still special to me. Came from an ipad 2, then got a mini, decided I wanted to try retina, now I can't imagine owning an ipad without retina. Everything's just so clear

6. macrumors 601

brand

I think you are not appreciating what you have because you have not went back and used a non-retina display for an extended period of time.

7. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

The retina display heyday is over. Retina has lost market value. First and foremost because the iPhone 5 cannot even play 1080p video.

8. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, it can and so can the iPad mini. Does it play at full res? No, but both of those devices can record and playback 1080p video.

9. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Retina is nice - im just to cheap to actually buy it. Retina iPad and rMBP dont interest me - not because of the screen. I love the screen - there are other cons that keep me from them.

10. macrumors 6502

I had the iPad 3 and exchanged it for a mini that I used for 28 days, just exchanged the mini for an iPad 4 and I can say retina is definitely special.

11. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

You might as well bring in your old TV from the 80s.

12. macrumors 601

brand

Thats not even a comparison. Try again.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

shenfrey

1080p on a 4"- 5" device? Lol

14. macrumors 6502a

I think you're feelings are normal. It's like the kids who won't play with their toys after the "newness" wears off! We are all like that to some extent. You can buy a brand new car and feel thrilled when driving it - but when the new car smell wears off....well it kind of loses it luster...

----------

You got that right! My friend was the first in the neighborhood to get a color TV in 1964. Black & White was the norm as was 3 channels plus one UHF. I remember going over to his house and watching Disney in color. Good times.

15. macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's special, but I'm used to it. No way I'm ever buying another electronic device without a retina display. Apple definitely has me hooked on this technology.

16. macrumors 6502a

adnoh

1. Sell you iPad
    2. Buy an ipad mini
    3. Use for 1 month
    4. Sell your ipad mini
    5. Buy retina ipad
    6. BE AMAZED AT RETINA SCREEN!

17. macrumors member

Newby to retina display

I just bought an IPod Touch 5... and boy the screen is magnificent. For most video you dont get the full effect, but if you watch an HD video from youtube, geese, its like 3d. I watch it mostly in bed, dark room. If you close one eye, it seems like you can walk right into the screen. I have a video from PBS- Nova. Tales from the hive (bees). The picture is amazing.

I just purchased a new IPAD... will let you know if just as amazing.

BTW - I had a 3gen touch and the upgrade for the video is worth the purchase.
    I also have a 55" TV with 240mhz refresh rate... If Im watching a youtube video , sometimes (at night) I prefer to watch it on the ipod touch...

18. macrumors newbie

That may be due to the fact your TV has a 240mhz refresh rate. Or it could be the screen calibration difference, because unless your sitting to close to the TV, you shouldn't be able to see the pixels. 120/240mhz make TVs look terrible IMO. The "soap opera" effect makes everything look unnatural.

In the end it's the screens calibration, I bet. Try turning that high refresh rate down to see how it looks. This isn't meant to offend, either. Just wondering why you would ever choose to watch something on theiPod touch
    over the TV. :) #PlasmaFanboyRant

And to get back on topic, I still love looking at Retina!