Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Aperture is more of a pro iPhoto, different from Photoshop.

I disagree. It is a direct competitor to Light Room. If Apple didn't have Aperture, then Light Room as we know it, wouldn't exist.

Even to this day, work flow is much better and faster on Aperture.

Some of us who have been Aperture users for several years are dismayed by Apple's lack of attention to the pro apps. It seems Apple is only interested in its iDevices and couldn't care less about the high end Mac users.:mad:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Microsoft are you listening? Adobe is going HiDPI in a matter of months. You are now officially are out of excuses.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

This is completely subjective. Personally, I work in Lightroom much faster than I do in Aperture. There is nothing apart from user preference that makes one app faster than the other in terms of workflow.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Do you understand what depreciated means? Even if they had shipped with Leopard, they would have eventually been dropped or not updated to match Cocoa. It would have only delayed the inevitable. We are now in 2012 and many are migrating to Mountain Lion if not already on Mountain Lion and Apple released Snow Leopard and Lion since Leopard. So it was years ago.

To put it in laymen's terms, depreciated means, "do not use" for future releases as they are not guaranteed to exist some day or might not reflect the latest functionality.

Yes but when you have Billions of lines of code to rewrite you can't expect nobody to put all its resources on a rewrite that doesn't add features. Also, limited engineer resources and not wanting to expand too much your team is not valid only for Apple to delay their products. And what about Apple's behavior when comes to pros? I could understand someone that criticize both Apple and Adobe for their behavior but not who critizice Adobe and defend Apple.

----------

You don't know how to use professional production software do you?

Do you really need to sound so bullish and disrespectful? About something like that? Grow up.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Why do people get down on Adobe so much? For crying out loud, they are the ONLY reason there are still macs even around after the travesty of the 90's. You should be on your knees praising them for not abandoning the platform and killing Apple when it was at it's weakest. You have Adobe therefore to thank for your iEverything.

You gotta be kidding. The only reason Adobe still made software for the Macintosh was that there was a big installed base of professional users on Macs (ad agencies, graphic design, print houses...) and leaving them would be walking away from a big chunk of revenue. Adobe has never had an altruistic bone in its body.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
No After Effects? Is Edge Animate really more important than After Effects? That is ridiculous in my mind.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
adobe said up front you would get more perks withe creative cloud, it's the flagship product. you weren't mislead, the stated "creative cloud members will always have the most up to date version of the creative suite we offer.

before the creative cloud all these updates would of sat on the shelf until the *.5 release, as you say you pay more with the creative cloud, but you get more, isn't that fair?

Flagship product? Laughable. It's an evil, underhanded way of getting people used to paying to borrow software in perpetuity. It won't be long before they probably start putting ads in your 'flagship product'.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Microsoft are you listening? Adobe is going HiDPI in a matter of months. You are now officially are out of excuses.

They can do what Apple does with the iPhone: Don't add new features for a while, then release them to create buzz. "OMG, Windows can now open ZIPs!!!"

----------

Some of us who have been Aperture users for several years are dismayed by Apple's lack of attention to the pro apps. It seems Apple is only interested in its iDevices and couldn't care less about the high end Mac users.:mad:

Well, that's what Apple was all about from the start, low-end consumer stuff. But they should really respect the pro users they have picked up now. Apple computers are great for these things.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Considering it has taken Apple over 400 days and counting to update the iMac, does that mean the next iMac release might possibly come with a Retina display or is the current iMac's display specs good enough to wear the moniker "Retina". Not being a Photoshop user, at least for professional purposes, do professionals prefer to work on 13 or 15" screens when using PS, Illustrator, Silverlight, Premiere, etc. If so, you're covered with the RMBP. If not and if an iMac fits their needs and yet the next release doesn't come with Retina, will they have to wait another 400 days for a Retina iMac to get the benefits of a Retina PS? And if iMac is not updated to Retina, will a Retina PS CS6 work on a non-Retnia iMac? I thought I read where images were fuzzy or something when things were not compatible or maybe I was mistaken and that was for apps on the Retina iPad. :confused:
/
/

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
This is great news! Im not in a hurry for the feature, but really glad they decided to do this. I use lightroom 4 and this will really allow me to take advantage of the retina display, as it was mean to be used. Considering how small the retina market it, I think Adobe is doing a great thing.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Why is this such a big deal? If you're a professional, you're far more likely to be using a Mac Pro with a couple of large screens than a rMBP. Or at the very least you have a couple of large screens attached to your rMBP :rolleyes:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Adobe always takes forever to update and always has excuses. Just like they had excuses as to why it took forever to update Creative Suite for Mac to be 64-bit while they already offered it for Windows.

Adobe went into this at the time. They mentioned that just porting an application of that size to cocoa required a huge amount of resources and an altered development cycle. Their initial development cycle pointed at 32 carbon --> 64 carbon ---> 64 cocoa. They reversed the order on two while Apple was still shipping their own comparable applications in 32 bit formats. Your post really is nothing more than the same FUD that has been reposted a thousand times. It wasn't correct any other time. It's still pure junk today.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Aperture is more of a pro iPhoto, different from Photoshop.

It's a Lightroom competitor. In some regards as good if not better but certainly behind in the features stakes since LR4 came out.

No one knows if Apple want to keep it a pro app or degrade it to an iPhoto+

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Flagship product? Laughable. It's an evil, underhanded way of getting people used to paying to borrow software in perpetuity. It won't be long before they probably start putting ads in your 'flagship product'.
If what Adobe is doing is evil... well, evil has been devalued somewhat since I last read the Bible.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
If adobe stopped creating apps for mac. There would be no reason for me to use a mac for work. As a graphic designer it's a fundamental to my day as a pen and sketch pad using a mac and adobe products.I use as mac from 9 am - 6 pm for work. Then sit on my laptop from 8 - 11 most nights.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
If adobe stopped creating apps for mac. There would be no reason for me to use a mac for work. As a graphic designer it's a fundamental to my day as a pen and sketch pad using a mac and adobe products.I use as mac from 9 am - 6 pm for work. Then sit on my laptop from 8 - 11 most nights.
I don't get this. They have CS for Windows you know?

----------

There's a pretty decent Word hack to get it retina friendly. It bugs out a bit, but still good. http://www.officeformachelp.com/201...rd-2011-on-a-retina-display-really-this-easy/

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo

sounds like you are just upset you backed the wrong horse.

to me the creative cloud was a far better value, if you update yearly you will spend roughly the same given you have access to more products than your standalone master suite. with the creative cloud you get Muse, Edge, Lightroom, and cloud storage.

I jumped on the 29.99 upgrade fee, which brings my year cost to $360. If i had gone the box software route, its $520 for a master suite upgrade license and then $79 for lightroom upgrade.... how is that a cheaper route? In 2 years (which i consider a normal update cycle for most designers that keep "up to date") I still come about even yet get all the perks along the way.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I disagree. It is a direct competitor to Light Room. If Apple didn't have Aperture, then Light Room as we know it, wouldn't exist.

from what I remember Lightroom came first, it was built off of bibble, though I never really got into aperture, just didn't care for the setup. but speed of workflow all matters on the photographer, I'm happy we have choices though.

----------

They killed Freehand.

For that I can never forgive them.

I never used freehand, but wasn't it the foundation of fireworks? (i'm not being cynical, i really have no idea)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.