Retina iPad Mini Launch Supplies Set to Be 'Ridiculously Tight' Until Early 2014

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Following concerns expressed during the lead-up to this week's Apple media event that the company would be unable to launch the Retina iPad mini in any significant volume before the end of the year, supply chain analysts continue to expect very low supplies of the device when it launches next month.

Shortly after Apple announced the new Retina iPad mini, IHS iSuppli analyst Rhoda Alexander noted that supplies will indeed be "severely constrained", according to CNET.
    Alexander expanded a bit more in comments shared by The Telegraph yesterday, calling the supplies "ridiculously tight" at one-third the levels seen for last year's launch of the original iPad mini.
    Production of the Retina display panels for the new iPad mini is said to be the bottleneck for Apple, with Apple's suppliers needing to optimize processes for building displays with the same number of pixels as the full-size iPad but at the higher pixel density of the iPhone and iPod touch.

Alexander is certainly not the only analyst to be predicting tight supplies of the new iPad mini, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo making similar claims. Kuo's modeling has Apple shipping only a little over 2.2 million Retina iPad mini units during the fourth quarter due to those low supplies and a mid-quarter launch, compared to nearly 6.6 million units of the non-Retina iPad mini.

Apple's own announcements have also suggested low availability of the Retina iPad mini, with the company introducing the device at Tuesday's event but declining to announce an exact launch date in specifying only "November". And with the iPad Air launching on November 1, it seems clear that Apple is struggling to produce the new Retina iPad mini in quantities sufficient enough to allow it to launch as the holiday shopping season kicks off at the end of November.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Launch Supplies Set to Be 'Ridiculously Tight' Until Early 2014
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2011
    iPad Air for Christmas it is then....

-- Push notifications bought be here, loving that feature!
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2013

Looks like some people might be getting gift cards under the tree this year!

Again, I'm hoping this is incorrect. If not, it would be a pretty rough oversight by Apple...Doesn't take a brilliant man to understand that products need to be on the shelf for holiday shopping season.
  5. macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Oh I just love these MacRumors notifications in Mavericks! Hope more news sites implement them. :apple:
  6. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2013
  7. macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2010
    Well, according to about 10 different CNET articles on Tuesday, nobody is going to buy them anyway, or any other iPad again for that matter, so it's probably not too big of a deal.
  8. macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2010

Does anybody know if the Retina Minis will be carrier unlocked. If I buy from T-Mobile can I use it on AT&T as well?
  9. macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2009
    i remember the stocks last year

my apple store is a flagship but had very little stock of iPad Mini, our customers couldn't wait so they went for the more expensive iPad

also our market leader was forcing us to call our business clients to make pre-orders

they paid in advance and had to wait for weeks to get their products...

10. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    Where is the gold version?

Where is the A7X?

Where is Touch ID?
  11. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    My guess is this tablet will be in ample supply.

12. macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2012
    Chigwell, England
    Agreed, that's how I got here, too! lol
  13. macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2012
    The supply Vs demand game is always interesting. Porsche used to be very good at it too, limiting stock helped keep the residuals high, whilst demand for the product remained high. Thing is, over time, people get bored of waiting and will start seeking alternatives. It also allows time for competitors to up their game.
  14. macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2013
    It sounds some kind of maketing tactics. If you just do not prepare for large volume production, why wouldn't you put the conferrence a while back, this seems much reasonable.
  15. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    What would A7X have that A7 doesn't have?
  16. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Demand will be super high. Supplies will be tight. Analysts will claim production issues. Opening weekend sales will be record breaking and many many millions.

Did I miss anything.
  17. macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Is that when she leaves you?

Anywho, I have a hard time believing Apple would set themselves up for over a year of shortages. A few months may be good for hype, but a year, that's just lost revenue.
  18. macrumors member

Aug 13, 2013
    United Arab Emirates
    Since I do a lot photography and love photographs I personally prefer the iPad. Now Have to wait I guess 2 months for the device to reach UAE. Just today UAE began preorder from one of the telecoms. I was one of the few lucky ones to get hold of the Gold. As of now Gold is out of stock though black and silver is still available. Well just FYI. :D
  19. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I bet the mini costs more to produce than the air, yet sell for $100 less. The pricing doesn't seem to make any sense.
  20. macrumors 68040

Aug 31, 2007
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    'Ridiculously Tight' seems to be the new theme for product release(s) over the last year +
    iPad mini

Channel inventory / supply chain is supposedly someone's strength at Apple :confused:
  21. macrumors 68040

Jun 20, 2007
    A Large reason for this is also because of China being included in the initial launch. This is causing annoyances with not allowing preorders of the 5s and iPad Air for launch day.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 2, 2011
    I hate this too. Some people would try to make profit from that. It doesn't seem they ready to sell but just to let people delay from buying other brands. :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2008
    My wallet will share this ridiculous tightness.
  24. macrumors 68030

Oct 3, 2012
    New Jersey
  25. macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2010

So he is basically saying Apple will still sell/ship more Units than the Surface and Surface Pro sold all last year combined, but there will still be a waiting period for most people?