Retina Macbook Pro - buy now or wait for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LepusQuan, Oct 9, 2012.

  1. LepusQuan macrumors newbie

    Oct 9, 2012
    Hey, first time poster here.

    I'm sold on the new 15 inch rMBP but am wondering if now is a good time to buy one given that the first generation model has a few issues (image retention, scrolling). I usually never buy the first generation model and I was thinking of waiting till the Haswell models come out. I have a 2007 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro (before unibody) and am amazed that it's lasted me this long considering I am a video editor. My questions are- When approximately should I expect the next rMBP's to come out? Will the specs be significantly better? And do you think they will have resolved the current issues? Or should I buy now? The last thing I want is to buy a new computer and then in a month or two have the new ones come out.

  2. mobidutch macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2012
    Haswell is rumored to become available in the March to June timeframe of 2013. The rMBP was made available in...what...July this year? So I would not expect a Haswell based rMBP until at least July of 2013. Specs will probably bring incremental improvements, not quantum leaps. At least a better integrated GPU and lower power draw. But do you need either of those? I'd say either buy now or otherwise upgrade your current MBP (if that is possible)?
  3. peskaa macrumors 68020


    Mar 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Buy now, Haswell will offer a slight bump in CPU performance, integrated GPU performance and maybe battery life, but that's it. It's unlikely Nvidia will have released the successor to Kepler, so the 650M is likely to stay, and beyond that, the machine will be exactly the same.

    As for issues, I feel they are overblown on internet forums. There's a poll running on here that shows the large majority of rMBP owners are perfectly happy with their purchase. I for one have never been unhappy with mine.
  4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020


    Jan 21, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    It always comes down to if you need a new computer or not--if you need one, then now is the time to buy--if not--well it doesn't matter if you wait until the next revision to buy. I needed a new computer so I bought the rMBP--not immediately after it first came out but just last week from Amazon. From what I can tell from using it since Saturday, it is indeed a fine machine. :)
  5. LepusQuan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 9, 2012
    Good advice. Yeah honestly I do need it now. My current computer is over 5 years old (June 2007) and it's been showing it's age for the past year and a half or so (rendering, animating, transcoding etc). Plus the trackpad is beat to hell and occasionally clicks and drags on it's own. If the next updates of the rMBP aren't really gonna be THAT much better then now is maybe the time. I'm just one of those people that gets serious computer envy when the new models come out. Character flaw, what can I say. I would get pissed if the next update had eight cores or 2GB video ram. Thanks for your opinion.
  6. Tankmaze macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2012
    I have a gut feeling apple would update the mbp with slight spec bump ivy bridge on feb 2013, before going to haswell in late 2013.
    But that is purely speculative based on apple release of past mbp.

    If you can hold out, maybe you can wait till february.
  7. mobidutch macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2012
    That's exactly what I would NOT do. It would hold out a few months for a MAJOR spec bump if I knew it was coming, like waiting for a 13" rMBP versus buying a 13" MBP or MBA now. But waiting for a MINOR spec bump on the 15" rMBP....there's always one of those around the corner, and you may not even notice the difference in every day use.
  8. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

    May 18, 2011
    After three rmbp returns, I am waiting for the haswell release. I bought a base 13 MBA for $999 for the meantime and will probably sell it for the same price next year.
  9. LepusQuan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 9, 2012
    Three returns? Wow that's a lot. What was wrong with it each time?
  10. wiznet macrumors regular

    May 30, 2012
    Mine is perfect; the best computer I've ever owned.

    I'd recommend it to anybody; the wait isn't worth the enjoyment you could experience in the next ~10 months waiting for the next version!
  11. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Go get one- you're gonna love it. It's such a huge leap.
  12. Tankmaze macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2012
    While I would agree on that, but the assumption with the minor spec bump on the rmbp would also fix any issue the rev a product might have.

    I remember when I bought the late 2008 unibody mbp with user replaceable battery, on march 2009 apple release the new mbp with non replaceable battery that can hold until 1000 cycle, and can have max memory 8gb, while the 2008 would max at 6gb ram :(

    So the rev b rmbp could come with minor spec bump, but major fix with the problem that people were having, IR issue, wifi, etc.

    And also you can buy the "previous gen" mbp when the new one comes out at a discounted rate.
  13. LepusQuan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I just ordered a 2.6 Ghz/512GB/16GB rMBP. Can't wait!
  14. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a


    Aug 18, 2005
    Not necessarily.. Apple have often ignored problems, especially where the case is involved.

    The MacBook plastic went through many revisions which were all prone to topcase cracking, for one. I still have one of those (to be fair Apple replaced my topcase again for free last year, way out of warranty of course, no applecare). The model after that had hairline cracks around the hinges that were never solved until it was discontinued.

    They also didn't fix the keyboard touching the screen on the Airs, the hairline cracks on the iPhone 3G stayed when they went 3GS, there's been more examples though I can't think of any now.

    They can solve the Image Retention problem at any time, the next revision (especially a small spec bump) will most probably use the same screen panel so why wait fixing that? Although I'd guess they won't fix it until the next complete redesign, when they have to develop a completely new panel anyway.

    By the way I agree with the others: Buy now, Haswell will make a big difference for machines relying solely on the integrated GPU but with the nice nVidia chip in there that difference isn't so important. I think it's likely Haswell will improve battery life too but at the expense of waiting almost a year.

    So I think it was a good choice to buy it now.
  15. faiz23 macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2010
    Picked up a ivy bridge macbook pro for wifey brand new $1199 model for $950 + tax. No gimmick, no credits, no rebates just pure price match. Add a 256gb samsung ssd for $170 and you have a solid machine for daily duty. This should hold you over until haswell and if you have to have rmbp which in my opinion is junk then pick up a bestbuy open box for a decent discount or amazon warehouse deals through amazon direct. If you are not happy with purchase amazon will offer a decent discount to keep it and save decent $$$$ versus retail....never pay retail. Only chumps pay retail :rolleyes:
  16. GodforSaken macrumors newbie

    Oct 7, 2012

    Your opinion doesnt really count, so please keep it to yourself. rMBP is thus far the best MBP apple has released.
  17. faiz23 macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2010
    Just because they released it does not mean it is the best. The iphone 5 is just released and is full of issues from manufacturing to software. The retina has under powered Video card for the high res retina display. Cooling is pathetic during gaming sessions, The cost is extremely high for the specs. Haswell will bring a performance bump along with a slight price drop. The retina macbook has no sort of repair aspect which means even more $$$ for apple at your cost. My opinion is just like your opinion and we all have opinions like you. If you do not like it than shoot your self in the temple. :rolleyes:
  18. philipfreire macrumors member


    Oct 11, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I agree with this man on what he has said. I want to love the rmbp but after reading Anandtech indepth review and breakdown of the product, the video card is not suitable for the technology. What's even more scary is hearing how one of your cores of your CPU is at full throttle at certain times just to process some of the screens pixel information before its sent to the GPU. It's getting half the fps that a cmbp gets.

    I have two on order as I want to check them out myself but the more I read reviews the more I am leaning on sending it back and waiting for the next update.
  19. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2012
    Who goes by numbers on a sheet anymore?! It's about how it feels :cool:
  20. faiz23 macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2010
    If feels slow and hot when gaming. Yes feel..... :apple:
  21. Mac-Tech macrumors regular


    Jun 4, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I would buy now or end of this year the RMBP even when HASWELL comes out next year March-July 2013 it will have problems of its own. Every new laptop will have issues there is no work around it. Everyone will jump on it and then complain later...this is how it happy with what you got in life...
  22. torana355 macrumors 68000

    Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Wait for Haswell without a doubt, don't let the first revision "beta testers" tell you otherwise to help them justify their purchase. Haswell is going to be a big jump in battery life in particular.
  23. CarcinogenX, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

    CarcinogenX macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    My rMBP rant:

    I just upgraded to a rMBP from a 2010 17” MBP and regardless of all the negative posts I honestly can (and do) tell anyone who asks that owning a rMBP is without question the best computer experience of my life to date.

    A couple things though: I bought the upgraded model with AppleCare off Craigslist for substantially less, $1000 lower than retail . I got a later model (Late September) with a Samsung LCD and have had no issues to date, which according to posts here seems to make me a lucky fellow in some respect.

    I had a first gen. dual core 2.53ghz i5 and stepped up to an Ivy bridge 2.6ghz i7 quad core. I immediately noticed a huge, massive speed difference right? Nope! For day-to-day use, there is absolutely no noticeable difference. I had a Crucial M4 SSD installed in my 2010 MBP so Office, i”whatever” and Creative Suite etc. loaded and ran just the same.

    The big deal by far is the screen, plus the weight, size and speakers, then updates like USB3 etc. I mean, the screen is the way you interact with your computer, and the rMBP has the most amazing screen ever created for a laptop computer. The screen alone is worth the $$ but you get a lot more too. Coming from a 6.6 pound 17” behemoth, I still have to verify that I’ve actually put my rMBP in my backpack before leaving. It’s seriously that light and thin that it can go un-noticed in a bag.

    Like others said, there is always something better on the horizon, but I feel Apple has really created a stunning design that will endure for a long enough time that purchasing one now will bring no regret. I seriously believe that unless you’re trying to take over the world on a single battery charge that nobody needs this much computing power in the slightest degree anyway, so you’ll be ecstatic with what the rMBP has to offer now and in the future. I am a very cautious person with making new purchases but I have no remorse after purchasing a rMBP.

    Hope this helps.
  24. throAU macrumors 68040


    Feb 13, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    do you need it now or can you wait for haswell?
  25. Agent-P macrumors 68030


    Dec 5, 2009
    Whoa, where did you find a 13" MBA for $999?

Share This Page