Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I currently have a late 2013 13 inch Retina MacBook pro with a 2.6 GHz intel core i5, 8gb of ram, and 512gb of flash storage. I am currently running 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and I am having some issues. My issues are wifi issues. I am having issues with wifi not working at all or working very slowly. I already know it isn't my wifi router because my other devices (iPad Air 2, iPad 3, iPhone 5s, and iPod Touch 5th generation) all work like normal on my wifi connection. I thought maybe it was the wifi card in my Mac or whatever it is called that was going out or something so I ran the Apple Hardware Test on my mac and it came back with no issues. I can restart my Mac when I am having wifi issues to get wifi working like normal again for a little while but I am starting to get very frustrated. I have kind of ruled that my wifi issues must have to do with Mavericks on my Mac. Should I upgrade to El Capitan and see if my wifi problems disappear? I am nervous about upgrading because of all of the bad reviews on the App store. All of the bad reviews is the reason why I didn't upgrade to Yosemite last year and the reviews for El Capitan are worse than Yosemite. I currently am a student going to college and I need my Mac to work when I need it. What should I do? Does anybody have any other reasons why just out of the blue I am having wifi issues?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
90% of the reviews are from people that have run into basic issues. To be honest if your competent and can read basic English then you really can go wrong. Update your laptop mate.

Reactions: Aneef

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
90% of the reviews are from people that have run into basic issues. To be honest if your competent and can read basic English then you really can go wrong. Update your laptop mate.

Thanks for your reply. The reason why I never upgraded to Yosemite, which I now regret, is because I took the reviews too seriously and basically didn't want to wreck my experience if I did have issues. I thought "why fix something that's not broke" because I didn't have any issues with Mavericks until the past month. I have had some issues for a couple months now and my other issue was my antivirus software. Call me crazy, but I have Kaspersky antivirus/ internet security installed on my Mac and a couple of months ago I had a pop up and it was basically saying someone was trying to get into my computer and I had an option of accept and block. So I clicked block and ran a couple virus scans and it didn't find anything. I had no issues before I got that message and I got the wifi issues probably a few weeks later. It makes me feel wonder if someone did try to get in my Mac over the internet because I know there were some security flaws in Mavericks that Apple wasn't going to fix because they said it was too complicated of a fix. For security reasons I need to upgrade to El Capitan. I have also had an issue all along with once I wake my Mac up from sleep I have to manually connect to wifi because it never does it by itself. Do you know if that issue is fixed in El Capitan because that is also a pain to have to manually select the wifi after I wake it up from sleep

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
To be honest a clean install could solve your issues. The who pop up thing is just a trick to try getting you to purchase some crappy scanner. The wifi issue could be a hardware issue it could be software. Clean installing your o/s would solve a software issue

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
To be honest a clean install could solve your issues. The who pop up thing is just a trick to try getting you to purchase some crappy scanner. The wifi issue could be a hardware issue it could be software. Clean installing your o/s would solve a software issue

Since I ran the Apple Hardware Test on my Mac the other day wouldn't it come back with an issue if my problem would be hardware related? When I ran it, it came back with no issues. My problem must be software related. Whats the best way to do a clean install? I have never done a clean install before and I am running the OS X that my Mac came with, I never upgraded it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Since I ran the Apple Hardware Test on my Mac the other day wouldn't it come back with an issue if my problem would be hardware related? When I ran it, it came back with no issues. My problem must be software related. Whats the best way to do a clean install? I have never done a clean install before and I am running the OS X that my Mac came with, I never upgraded it.

Thats assuming it's not an intermittent issue and that the hardware test actually works and finds any issue, both massive assumptions neither of which are likely to be true.

On the other hand it does sound software based, there are endless guides for reinstalling OSX do a google search or even on these forums and choose the one that suits you, writing out all the different methods would be an excercise in futility.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Thats assuming it's not an intermittent issue and that the hardware test actually works and finds any issue, both massive assumptions neither of which are likely to be true.

On the other hand it does sound software based, there are endless guides for reinstalling OSX do a google search or even on these forums and choose the one that suits you, writing out all the different methods would be an excercise in futility.

Ok, I will look up how to reinstall OS X. Is this all that needs to be done to reinstall OS X. http://www.howtogeek.com/186860/how...your-drive-and-create-usb-installation-media/
All it looks like you have to do is boot from recovery and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X. Where is the fresh copy coming from since OS X Mavericks isn't available on the App Store. Will this work to reinstall a fresh copy?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Ok, I will look up how to reinstall OS X. Is this all that needs to be done to reinstall OS X. http://www.howtogeek.com/186860/how...your-drive-and-create-usb-installation-media/
All it looks like you have to do is boot from recovery and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X. Where is the fresh copy coming from since OS X Mavericks isn't available on the App Store. Will this work to reinstall a fresh copy?

Yes if thats the OS your mac came with it will restore to that OS, if not it'll restore to what it came with and then you'll have to upgrade. Or you can use Diskmaker X to make a USB installer stick for El Capitan and just install from there with the latest operating system.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yes, I do read the reviews because I want to know before I upgrade if it will break any apps or cause performance issues.

Like wifi issues? I had similar issues in some early betas of Mavericks, but it was resolved long before Mavericks was released. No problems with wifi since currently running El Capitan beta 4.

Just do the upgrade. And make sure the firmware on your router/access point is up to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.