Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Just bought a 13inch about a few weeks ago. Passed the return date though :( do you think they will let me swap this one out for the new one?

Worth a shot. But, it's not like you're missing anything. It's basically the same machine.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Looking like a company desperatly searching through the parts bin in the hope of coming up with something that might attract new business. :rolleyes:

Because there is nothing new to put inside them (apart from a better dGPU). I'd wager they are holding back brand new features until the real update next year but as for CPUs, there is nothing. :(

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Did you miss the article highlighting that this is just speed bump component upgrade. 800M aren't "drop in" replacements for the 700M. Apple isn't investing anything in board tweaking and substantive new part validation.

The next gen board development money is likely coupled to the same board as has the new Broadwell and chipset updates. There weaving in an 800m isn't a big deal since the redesign constraints are opened up anyway.

The upped end of the 800M series is GK based parts (i.e.., speed bumped 700 parts). Nvidia still need to flush out the rest of the line up. All 900 update in early 2015 would likely be is just clock speed bumped 800M models.

Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.

The 850M is Maxwell based.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
That 750m is a huge disappointment. I would have expected them to move from Kepler to Maxwell at least.

Maxwell is MUCH better suited for notebooks.

Now, I wonder what Apple Engineers were thinking. Maybe, because they do this sort of thing all the time and, they may have information the general public does not have, might factor into Apple's decisions.

TSP23

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I am hoping the update isn't drastic - I hate the return/exchange process and the drive to apple.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I am beside myself that there still isn't a Haswell mini.

Why? The primary advantage of Haswell is decreased power consumption. You won't notice much of a performance difference.

----------

Looking like a company desperatly searching through the parts bin in the hope of coming up with something that might attract new business. :rolleyes:

Really?

Imagine you work for a company that purchases components from other vendors, and then integrates them together into a final product. Now imagine that your most important component was just given a performance increase for the same price. Replacing this component requires zero redesign of your overall system, and the older components are not any cheaper.

To put it plainly: Apple is releasing a CPU spec bump solely due to the fact that Intel refreshed their Haswell line. To NOT release a spec bump would be to overcharge your customers for technology that is now slightly outdated. Why would you do that?

To criticize Apple for not also releasing all kinds of other updates is ridiculous. You people are basically just discouraging them from putting the latest and greatest components into their computers. If Apple only released updates whenever they had a lot of things to update at once, we'd only see updates annually or bi-annually at best, and we'd all be worse off.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
If the 16gb standard gets applied to the 13 inch line as well without a price hike, I am going to be PISSED. Just bought the 2.6-8-512 model a month ago :mad:

Unless you're editing video or something, you'll never notice the extra 8GB of RAM. Most gamers don't even use more than 8GB, due to most programs never needing it.

----------

You do know what company you're talking about, right? :cool:

Har har.

Apple maximizes profit. There's no profit to be gained from supplying you with old chips, since Apple gets them at the same price. It's not any cheaper for Intel to produce the older model. It would probably actually be more expensive for them to produce both models at once. Given Apple's scale, it's unlikely enough of the older versions are just sitting around in a warehouse somewhere, especially since the initial refresh was months ago.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Just bought the base 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display last week. The processor bump doesn't necessarily excite me too much, but 16 GB of ram might inspire me to pull a return and exchange.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
ya, i get that, but why does Apple have to do this then? If they know its only 200Mhz increase, i guess its just for marketing purposes and more money.

a big jump, i would say "yes"

an increase may be an increase, no matter how small of one, but still..... people are more out for the bigger changes, not small difference . It may interest a few first time buyers, but don't expect everyone to sell their old mac's overnight for a small bump.

How are Apple going to keep using the old CPUs? Intel stop making them. Apple can't sell something that Intel does not make any more. They use the products that Intel does have - and those are 200 MHz faster than the old ones.

There aren't any other CPUs out there that Apple can use. So they either stop selling Macbook Pros until Broadwell, or they put the Haswell refresh CPUs in them. There is no third option.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Why? The primary advantage of Haswell is decreased power consumption. You won't notice much of a performance difference.

----------

Maybe because it hasn't been updated in two years, and is now two generations behind in iGPU.

THATS WHY!!!!

Yet again, the inexpensive option is seen not as a gateway machine by Apple, but as a source of irritation that it has to exist on some level. How else do you explain the contempt apple seems to have towards it, by ignoring it for so long.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I've been "considering" a 13MBP but to be quite honest I don't absolutely need one right now.

My 2011 iMac is still running fine, but I promised myself on the next big update I'd be making a purchase.

I'm guessing this isn't really considered a "big" update?

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA

Except on the GPU side. Iris Pro in a Mac mini would be fantastic compared to what we got now. Even better would be a dGPU, but no chance of that happening on the mini.

Last edited:

FenixStryker

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Update 1:22 PM: MacRumors has received word that seven new model numbers are indeed incoming to retail stores, likely corresponding to the three stock configurations of the 13-inch model and two for the 15-inch model, along with a maxed-out "ultimate" configuration of each as is commonly carried in-store.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Updates Reportedly Due Tuesday, July 29: Minor Haswell CPU Updates Expected

I'm so happy that this happening because I'm getting my rMBP next week! <3 I'm excited and I'm glad I waited this long to get one. \(^_^)/

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Looks like it's better to wait and get a refurbished, used, clearance models. At up to 25% off for maybe 7% performance decrease sounds reasonable.

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I have a Macbook Late '09 and I'm starting to have trouble playing videos at 2.7k (I get major lag even with everything closed) to edit with so I guess it's time for a refresh. I mainly edit photos but I've recently started doing videos with my GoPro.

Is it worth getting the newest model that's about to come out or should I just wait for the MBP Late '13 (aiming for the ME866LL/A) to go on clearance?

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
This is a promising announcement.

We are getting closer and closer to my desire for a 17" hex-core rMBP with discrete GPU, 24 GB RAM, and Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, 3TB of SSD space, a built-in treadmill/cappuccino maker, and a pretty lady barista to serve it to me. They could call it the rMBP:AppleBrewN'Serve Edition. :)

Yeah, bring back the 17" MBP please.

Invidicous

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
As someone who just purchased a higher end i7/512GB/750M/16GB this refresh kind of sucks a little.

Base model gets for the same price
+ 0.2 Ghz Processor
+ 8 GB Ram

Mid / High end model gets for the same price
+ 0.2 Ghz Processor

Sure makes the base model a lot more attractive considering the 750M is not a huge selling point over the Iris Pro and the MBP's are typically for normal use as opposed to gaming etc.

$700 for a mediocre GPU upgrade? Bit rich.

pjwal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
Don't Fret, just buy

Your life will be much better if you stop trying to time your buying of a new rMBP to that of a major spec change and simply always upgrade whenever you can and trade in your old one. Trust me. You always have the best computer on the market for like $1k a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.