Retina Questions... (.iconsets?)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

So I was reading about Mac OS X retina support over here and I had a few questions:

https://developer.apple.com/library...hResolutionOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html

1 - Will Snow Leopard properly support a .iconset?
    2 - Also regarding .iconsets... once I make one, what exactly do I do with it to have it be included in my app? With .icns, I'd go into my target and drop the file onto the image well labeled "App Icon".

3 - If I only use @2x files, will they properly be downscaled on non-retina screens? What about on Snow Leopard?

2. macrumors 6502a

From the linked page:

Code:
    NSNumber *myValue = [[NSNumber alloc] 
                            initWithDouble:[convertPointToBacking:value].y]; 

Whats with [convertPointToBacking:value]? That's not valid code....

3. macrumors 603

At the bottom of the page where you read that, send feedback to Apple.

My guess is the code is missing a self (or some other object) before convertPointToBacking. But since it could be any of several different objects, depending on context, that's just a guess.

4. macrumors 6502a

I would say set up your app and try it. If not then you'll need to include .icns and .iconset.

As far as I cen tell, simply add the .iconset to your resources group. The documentation implies that the system will select the correct icons by name in the same way that [NSImage imageNamed:mad:"whatever"] does now.

Don't use only @2x files. You'll need non-@2x images for non-retina use, so you need to include both.

----------

Thanks chown, I'll do that. I wanted to be sure it wasn't some new-fangled sytax I hadn't seen before.