Retired janitor cleans up $117m

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Jul 10, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Lowell jackpot winner finally comes forward

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff *|* July 10, 2004

A 67-year-old retired janitor from Lowell who has spent much of her working life picking up after others walked away yesterday with the largest lottery jackpot in state history.

Dressed in a peach and yellow shirt bought especially for the occasion, Geraldine "Gerry" Williams burst into tears after lottery officials handed her a ceremonial oversized check for $294 million at Massachusetts Lottery headquarters in Braintree.

"I don't know what it is to have money," Williams said, biting her lip nervously before a phalanx of media. "I hope I don't change."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/07/10/retired_janitor_cleans_up_117m/

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

lol...by 'cleans up 117 million' i thought you meant someone found 117 million...

if i remember right, by the end of 8th grade, if found around 50$ - all in pennies, nickles, dimes and quaters... :D

spent the money on RAM :cool:

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Its always good to see someone who deserves the money (i.e. they are moraly straight) get it.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thats good for her!!! some people really need the breaks in life, its about time some ppl who are ultra hard working but dont get a lot of credit for what they do get some well deserved windfall

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Wow, that's so great. I'm so happy for her. And it's a woman! Sorry, but it seems that men win a lot more than women, so it's not a negative comment or anything. She seemed so happy!
    –Chase

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, because men get drunk and are idiots so they spend a two weeks paycheck on loto tickets...

...wait a second... I am a man!!! :D

7. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

When they interviewed her on our local news, she seemed like a very deserving lady. Has had a hard life as a janitor. Her neighbors spoke of a very kind lady. Always trying to better the neighborhood, she would pickup trash around the area. Enjoyed helping out the elderly in the area. Now she will get to enjoy life. Wants to help out her children and give to charity. "Above all, no I can travel."