Retrieving birthday's with Automater

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SilentPanda, Apr 20, 2006.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

So I figured I would finally delve into Automater a bit because hey it's on my computer and maybe it will make things easier. So I decided a good task would be to get a list of birthdays for the month. Here is my workflow and the output text... which... makes no sense. Any ideas? My system language isn't set to whatever Asian language is put in the text file.

I have birthdays in my address book which then show up in iCal.

2. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Yep... thats pretty weird....
    Ill see if I can get mine to do that.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've basically copied your workflow, except I changed 'find events' to 'find calendars'

[​IMG]

Here's what my output looks like:
    [​IMG]

If I use it for a calendar that has data for this month, i.e. work stuff, it works fine.

[​IMG]

I hope this works for you as well. I'm not sure what caused your strange Asian text.

4. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I copied your workflow to the letter and got the following.... odd. :confused:

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm guessing you used TextEdit to generate the text file? Does it do the same thing with other calendars in iCal?

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It does the same with other Calendars (if I try to pull up appointments). I also tried messing around with the International settings but no luck. It's not a *huge* deal as I was just doing it to learn some Automater stuff in case I'm ever asked about it... so it's not like it's something I "need". It's just really odd.

Edit: I've thrown a "view results" box between everything... it seems to get the correct results (except for from Birthdays) but no matter what it displays in the Asian font/language. I made a slightly new workflow but it's the same thing... however it doesn't return any events if I select the Birthdays calendar even though I have a few this month.

7. zv470 macrumors 6502

I got it to work like this:

Attached Files:

8. zv470 macrumors 6502

p.s. I don't think it's using an Asian Font at all... I think it's Unicode. :eek:

9. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

zv470 I tried your way too and still I get Unicode or whatever... I am a sad panda.

10. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It's obviously happening in the TextEdit step, so dunno if this will work, but in your TextEdit preferences there are options that might help - specifically the 'Format' option on the New Document tab, and maybe the 'HTML Saving Option' on the Open and Save tab.

11. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Interestingly, if I used New TextEdit Document instead of New Text file, it creates a text edit document that's perfectly readable. New Text File is also giving me the same problem's you're having. I've noticed that Automator is very buggy, but then my only use for it is to make a wrapper for Shell scripts.