Retrieving purchased iTunes songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cycocelica, May 16, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

My hard drive failed and I lost everything, purchased iTunes songs included. Is there anyway of retrieving these without having to buy them again? I already bought them from the store so I don't know why I would have to buy them again. Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Unfortunatly (as far as I know), you can't download them again. After 100 downloads, iTunes tells you to back up your music.

Sorry... :(

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Eh, I figured that. Ill just have to use a different method.

4. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Who Says? :rolleyes:

Contact Apple through the iTunes Music Store link. You will have to explain the situation to them (via a web form), and they will send you a notice allowing you to re-download your music.

I wouldn't rely on this method for future purchases. Apple sends you a nasty automated email, explaining that "they don't usually do this, bla bla."

Enjoy.

5. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apple says...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93050

They even have a warning everytime you purchase music to ensure that you remember to back up your own ****.

6. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Cycocelica,

Although the knowledge base article above may describe Apple's written policy, IMO it's more of a scare tactic and not their actual practice. Apple knows that not everyone is going to backup after every song they download, so they generously provide an "exception."

I personally feel that Apple owes its customers that service (much like Napster and Real Rhapsody already provide), but to each their own.

Here is the link I mentioned above.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/lostmusic/

Next time, be sure to backup your data. ;)

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Thanks for link man. I sent them an email, so I will post what happens. I know I should have backed up my stuff, I obviously learned my lesson. Thanks again.

8. macrumors member

Thank you very, very, very much :)

I had a catastrophic hard drive cache while I was mulling over my backup options. I lost over 290 iTunes songs - gone for good I thought .... but I followed you advice and got a response back from Apple in less than 24 hrs.

The lost tracks are downloading now :)

As you say this is a once only chance, to quote from my support email:

So once again, thank you very much :)

Regards

Scott

ps. sorry for all the smileys but I'm a happy bunny!

9. macrumors regular

NeoMac

It happend to me.

This happend to me a couple of years ago. I contacted Apple, explained my situation and within a day or two they allowed me to down load all the music I had purchased on iTunes. At that point I had about 150 songs I purchased and they allowed me to down load them again.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Well I followed joshuawaire suggestion and got the email I can download my purchased songs. So thank you very much, I just got back 341 songs. Some songs I was not able to redownload because they were unavailable but they were free ones that I didn't care about. I'll back up right away once this is done.