Retro Macrumors.com

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tanglewood, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I sorry if this was already posted and I know Mitthrawnuruodo will have several links to different threads in like 2 minutes flat but oh well...

Has anyone ever been to archive.org?

They have this 'Waybackmachine' search engine where you can look for what sites looked like back in the day.

Heres a screenshot of macrumors.com from Oct, 13 2000.

[​IMG]

If you want to look see macrumors as it slowly evolved into what it is today check here.

Also don't forget to check out apple's site they have pages up that date back to 1996.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You can also check out the forums as they used to look on that site.

I kinda liked the old school purple-y look it used to have.

Ah the good old days. :p

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thanks for posting that ... it is very interesting to take a trip down memory lane.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i love how like half those icons are from slashdot :p
    cool find. archive.org is really cool.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here's something that'll make some of us feel old (here): Who remembers that message board with the purple? I was lurking back in September 2002....

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

*Raises hand*

I remember those icons across the top of the front page too :)

7. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very cool find Tanglewood.

I also used it to check out Apples web page- for a nostalgic trip down Macintosh history. :)

9. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

:eek: I remember that! Also, I remember being upset when they changed it, hehe.

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Heck Ya! :) :cool:

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Wow... look at all of the most recent posts... King Cobra, Jelloshotsrule, Beej, Durandal7, Dukestreet (read: Mr. A). A lot of those members don't even post anymore, but they were everywhere back in the day.

I believe I first found this site in December 2002, when TechTV mentioned an Apple rumor and quoted it as being from macrumors.com. So I still remember the purple forums :eek:

14. bradc macrumors 6502

I forgot about the 'Archive'. I'm having all sorts of fun looking back at Apple's websites, which suprisingly enough are still intact except for videos. I love reading the advertising, really 'tongue-in-cheek'. When I was browsing the site I saw an ad for "Star Wars: Episode 1", that felt like yesterday!! It was 8 years ago:eek:

It's also funny to read the computer specs. Also frightening to know that in eight years it'll be 'Merom-who? Conroe-what?Woodcrest-where?' hahaha scary!

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The "check out MR on archive.org!" thread pops up here every once in a while. I started lurking around here in July 2001, so I remember the old format (main and forum pages) even though I didn't start posting until years later. Even back then, MR was a terrific source for the "news and rumors I care about."

16. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah seeing that definitely brought back a lot of memories. I used to be called hitman back then and it was a lot smaller of a community. I don't even think more than 5 people had avatars haha.

Do any of the aforementioned posters still regularly post?

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ah the days of the purple forums, and the cool frontpage. I do miss them. If you look on the Purple Forum page you can see I just posted in the Hardware rumors on Sept 22 2002!
    Ah to think I had been a member of the forums for a year and half by then. That was a long time ago.

Its also funny to see who was active, a lot fewer people used the forums then!

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Nope - we ran off all those good-for-nothings...took a while but we finally got that jelloshots chatacter sometime back.;)

19. vniow macrumors G4

Heh, I can remember each and every one of the posters from that time, about a couple months after I joined including the ones you didn't menion. :eek: The forums used to have an OS X theme along with the purple one for awhile until they were upgraded.

Only j-lo and Mr. A, everyone else has pretty much left. Both spend a bit more time in the Private forums than around mere mortals. ;)

krossfyter shows up every now and again, mostly in the design and graphics forum.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

check

i miss beej

21. job macrumors 68040

job

I guess this is just me being out of the loop, but whatever happened to Eyelikeart, Backtothemac, medea, and RowerCPU?

Are they still randomly popping up in the forums from time to time?

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

medea and rower still make appearances. even backdawg does occasionally. eyelikeart has been gone for a while, and i believe he had some issues with katrina last year (though i can't imagine that's what's keeping him away now)

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

backtothemac and Rower_CPU are still around...don't post a lot (which means they're averaging only a post or two a day), but they're here. (Rower_CPU still does some mod duties when he's around.) eyelikeart pops in once in a while, but hasn't posted in a long time. medea recently returned after a long hiatus and has been fairly active.

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I believe there were a few mods and friends who made contact with eyelikeart during and just after Katrina hit to see that he was okay. He's still on the docket as a mod.

Attached Files:

25. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX