Retro. Very disappointing look

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by jmah88, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

I was in the store today and was looking at the new iMac. Honestly the bump in the back makes it look worst. Like a huge cancerous wart. Is very random. Loos retro, and outdated. The screen is nice though, no glare. Man I'm tossed. Going the Mac mini route.

It seems like it is hiding something, and very deceiving, then you see e side and feel ripped off.

Sigh apple get new designers.

2. macrumors 6502a

Okay how about they take the powerful computer inside, out of it and put it in a square box and smash the hump back in.

Would that make you happy?

3. macrumors 6502a

To each their own. I like it. Was it necessary? No. But, I like the refresh....and I am a designer.

4. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

"...a huge cancerous wart."

Nothing like trivializing something of tragic import. Wouldn't want that cancerous wart in your house.

:rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

Honestly, how often are you gonna look at the back of the thing?

6. macrumors 68040

xgman

Do you work from behind or something? Actually, don't answer that. I don't really want to know.

7. macrumors member

I think this world has turned into a bunch of whiners.

8. macrumors 6502a

The cancerous wart! THE HORROR!!

[​IMG]

9. macrumors newbie

imacanon

interesting view of the iMac... What are you basing these statements on?

10. macrumors 68000

You know based on the Photo's on the website it looks awesome. But I'll admit when I first saw it on the keynote I was a bit disappointed.

I'm still undecided on the design until I see it in person.

11. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Can't wait to see what they do with the Thunderbolt Display.

12. macrumors regular

I like the fact that the iMac's finally got a new design since 2009 but I have to agree that unless the most thinnest edge ran across the entire back-end that it would be probably the most infinite thing ever seen or made. It'd be much of a huge notebook on a stand. I think if Apple was to visualize making the most largest Retina Macbook Pro and calling it an iMac that it would be a TOTAL success and WIN WIN in all aspects. Lets face it, what they took away from it to make it as thin as they did that they could have easily looked at going even thinner by looking at the entire design aspect of their notebook line. This would have gave us and the entire All-in-One line of computers on the market the most thinnest computer ever made.

13. macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm unable to find a picture of said bump. Can someone please link to one for me?

14. Ademordna, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors regular

I honestly don't have a problem with the new design (just bought one) but I'll admit that I preferred the 'look' of the previous model. The 2012 is new, and like the packaging, it will take our eyes a little time to adjust to the new shape. But then all Macs look lovely to me, I would be excited to bring any of them home!

15. macrumors regular

No worries! The CNet review says the new iMac 27 is better than a Dell.

16. macrumors 6502

I had one of those in "strawberry". Loved playing Nanosaur on it.

17. macrumors regular

WrrN

Man, CRT's look so ancient. Wonder when the Apple HUD Cortex wetware v.1.3 is going to be released?

18. macrumors regular

chilly willy

The bump on the back does not bother me, as I have plans to use computer whilst facing the screen.;)

Seriously, I'm really more concerned to hear folks report on the new iMacs' performance more than if the bump on the back is big. Fact the front looks essentially the same makes it a non issue - for me, at least.

19. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

So you are going to buy a less powerful Mac w/ integrated video because the more powerful one's backside -- the side you don't stare at doesn't appeal to you. Interesting logic.

20. macrumors regular

Firstly, the new design employs a trick architects use to great effect quite regularly: buildings that look like they're razor thin until you drive around the back. It's a clever technique, fun to look at, like a magic trick, and results in some beautiful buildings (and, now, computers). Nobody is hiding anything. Do you really think people will suspect the entire computer is 5mm thin, then be shocked and distraught when they find out it isn't?

And secondly, you would kick out Jony Ive. Hmmm... why am I responding to this person again? :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502

Which store? None of the stores around me had any on display. They only had some for purchase.

22. macrumors 68000

Hmm... I wonder where the hump on my iMac will be.

23. macrumors regular

THOPMedia

Best. 12.4 points to you.

----------

I'm still laughing at that.

7 bonus points

24. macrumors regular

I like the new design, honestly I don't get why the new iMac is getting so much hate. It's faster, better screen, lighter, thinner, better looking.

Oh no it doesn't have an optical drive! Good. I hate having hundreds of CD's/DVD's laying around.

25. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Like this?
    [​IMG]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.