Return of the White Spots

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RedMacMan, Sep 27, 2004.

1. RedMacMan macrumors member

So I bought a new Aluminum Powerbook G4 last September, and had to send it in a few weeks later for a new LCD due to the white spots issue. Since then mine had developed another large white spot above the center of the LCD. I figured I was SOL cause I'd already had it replaced, but then saw the new notice on replacements. So I took it into the Apple store this weekend and they agreed to replace it again, though I have to pay $350 cause it was (5 days!) out of the 1-year warranty. Oh well. New LCD for $350 isn't bad, esp since I kinda dented the corner of the screen last Christmas. (Shhh! Don't tell... ;))

Anyone else have this problem come back after a replacement?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

...and I thought this was the reformation of some unheard-of popular beat combo.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's bullsh*t, ask to speak to someone in charge. 5 days out, and they want you to pay up for something that is their problem (crap parts!). No way. Argue your case.

5. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... you think? I wondered about the timing of their official announcement - i.e. September 24, conveniently one year after the new Alum PBooks were released. Also I didn't really argue my case cause I did drop the thing and had dented the corner of the LCD, so wasn't sure if they would even agree to repair it, esp since this is now the 2nd replacement.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If the problem is the result of a drop then that's one thing, but I don't think you'd get a white spot from dropping it. 2nd replacement or not, the unit is defective, and they owe you a replacement.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

It seems like youre in luck

So it looks like someone's looking out for you, RedMacMan. :rolleyes:

8. RedMacMan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you're right, I probably have a good argument. Maybe I'll take this up with AppleCare over the phone. I didn't want to haggle with the guy at the store, because I didn't want him to look more carefully and see the dent in the corner. But the giant white spot is really totally unrelated to the minor damage from the drop.