Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
i got my iMac 11 days ago and i love it, but... there are two dead pixels and the mouse isn't working properly. Everyone keeps talking about the 14 day return policy. Will they refund 100% of my money? Or can i just ask for a replacement?

P.S. I got the apple care with it

Thanks

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
is it stock, or did you customize any options? Only sock machines are returnable, but there is a restocking fee. If the mouse isn't working properly, maybe you just need a new mouse? I'm not sure what the dead pixel policy is. Have you tried rubbing them out? You're best bet would be to call Apple Care, and see what they say.

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
I upgraded the ram and hard drive...What do you mean about rubbing the dead pixels out?

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
anyone else have any insight

Much appreciated, thanks again

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
call AppleCare. AppleCare would be your avenue for getting a replacement, which you should get if your mouse is not working. you cannot return a customized Mac to an Apple store. i believe the dead pixel policy is 6 dead pixels but i'm not positive.

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
if there are 6 daed pixels they will replace it? Is that how it goes? That is bs, i sunk $2500 into a machine that I htought would be more thatn worth it and now i have two noticeable dead pixels. Regarding the mouse, they would just replace the mouse right?

Thanks

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
if there are 6 daed pixels they will replace it? Is that how it goes? That is bs, i sunk $2500 into a machine that I htought would be more thatn worth it and now i have two noticeable dead pixels. Regarding the mouse, they would just replace the mouse right?

Thanks

Yup, that's usually how it works. Do your pixel anomalies affect the speed or performance of your machine? I didn't think so. If you bitch and moan to Apple enough, they'd probably take care of you.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
The famous "six pixel" policy is not set in stone. One is enough to qualify if you make enough fuss. "Massaging" the pixel never did anything for me except leave a scratch on my iBook screen, but some have reported success.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Question - are the dead pixels noticable all the time, or can you only see them when the screen is a certain color (dead pixels show up black on a blue screen) I have one dead pixel, and it doesn't bother me at all, and it only shows up when the screen is deep blue, which it hardly ever is. I say don't trip and keep the computer because it isn't worth gettin all wounded up over something that is very common.

About the mouse, I had the same problem and you don't need to replace the whole computer for the mouse, just go in and get it replaced. That's what they did to mine (wireless mighty mouse) and it is perfect now :)

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
There is one that is extremely noticable no matter what colour of background. If Apple does givve in and say they will replace it, do they give you a brand new computer?

Thanks

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Will they give me a brand new computer instead of replacing the screen? It would make sense right?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.