Returned my 8GB...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Ubuntu, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Just thought I'd tell you all. :D

The clickwheel was really loose, as was the hold button, it smudged as hell, and it also looked kinda dull (yet cool). It also started getting scratches at the top as if the material of my jeans pocket was strong enough to scrape the top of the iPod away as I put it in my pocket.

I purchased a blue 4GB. I'm liking this one a lot more. Feels solid, looks nicer, doesn't show smudges/sweat, can't say anything on the scratches though.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

2. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Could that have been avoided if you tested/played with the one that was on the sales floor?

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i like the blue better than the black - it would be nice if they made 8GB available in all colors.

i was actually considering going back to a full-size iPod (right now i have 2 nanos, only one of which i really use). but i'm in no rush and i'm trying to break my habit of buying the next best thing whenever Apple releases it (i've fallen victim to the Mac mini (ordered the day it was released), MBP (bought over this summer even though i didn't really need it but i still love it) and a 4G 20GB iPod (color) that i didn't need because a few months later i bought the nano when it was released.)

i digress. i'm glad you found something that suits your needs, Ubuntu.

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Interesting. I started with a 2GB Nano and ened up taking it back as well. I simply couldn't handle the loose click wheel...it was driving me nuts. Apple should be happy with me though, as I upgraded to a new 5.5G Video iPod and absolutely love it. Glad I spent the extra $$$. :)

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

No loose clickwheel here, but I hear you on the scratches... my 8gigger has a scratch already on the top front lip. It's only ever been in my jeans or a padded pocket in my workbag (on it's own). A little disappointed it has to be said, and I would have preferred the option of a silver 8gigger. Still a case looks like it may be in order...

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Is there any chance that you could post a picture?
    I was about to buy an 8GB iPod nano, but the scratch-proof casing was one of my favourite things about it. So, if it does scratch easily, i may spend that money on a Sony Ericsson K800i instead.

8. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Dang I should have taken photos of mine.

The edge was fading away, giving the impression that as I pushed the iPod into my pocket (upside down of course due to the position of the jack) it came into contact with the material and scratched away.

But I must say that the K800i is an awesome phone. Best software on this kind of phone yet. Can be annoying in that there is no option for manual flash (it decides when to flash, or you decide no flash) and the shutter is bulky, so sometimes I find the lens open.

Also, it can be annoying to take pictures with because the button sometimes needs a lot of pressure.

But otherwise, best camera I've seen so far on a phone, even regardless to the megapixel range. The options are just amazing.

9. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I wish they had made the iPods in all colours, because sure, it works in the sense that people who want black will have to go for the 8GB, but for people like me who didn't want black but wanted 8GB, I would have gone for nothing, or just another MP3 player. But I don't need 8GB really.

10. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I second that!

11. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Thirded. I have one for my 80GB iPod and it is awesome. Between that and the slip case that came with my iPod, I have it covered.

12. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

My 8 GB does not have a loose wheel. If anything, it's the best built iPod I've yet owned (mini, nano I, ipod video).
    Scratching? Look at your keys that are "only in your jeans." They are all scratched, too. Get a plastic film and case. (unbelievable)

13. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Uh, my keys are actually pretty good. Just checked my house keys, not a single scratch. Nothing on my car keys or my work keys.

But obviously you have some psychic power and are able to tell me, yes, me, the owner of said keys, that they're scratched.

I must be blind.

Hmm. :rolleyes:

And is it really unbelievable? Just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening. :rolleyes:

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Keys get scratches BECAUSE THEY GET USED IN LOCKS AND RUB AGAINST EACH OTHER!!!! If you're going to compare the situation to something else, at least have more than a milliseconds thought on it before you post. Genius :rolleyes:

Have to say I'm unsure about the look of the Invisible Shield on the new nano. 1G fine, but on matte aluminum? I think I'll just kid glove it until some decent cases are released...

15. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Me too. While I don't think they look too bad on other iPods, I think they look horrible on the iPod nano 2G.
    iLounge has a review here.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Completely missed your request for pics! And ironically I'll be using my K800i as I'm at work :D

I'll add pics to this post as I get them sorted...

[​IMG]

The flash in this pic makes the problem look worse than it is. Some dust on the side looks like a scratch but isn't. I've circled the affected area (well, areas now!!!!) in both pics...

[​IMG]

I've treated the nano well. It goes into pockets on its own, no keys or change etc. If its in a bag its in a padded pocket on its own. And when at home it's resting on a table at worst. So it's not been poorly treated at all...

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Thanks for the pictures :)
    I wonder what could of caused it? I used to have an iPod mini, and it was only half that bad after a year of caseless use (i even kept my headphones in the same pocket), and, surely they are made of the exact same material :confused:

Anyway i think i will go ahead and buy an 8GB nano. My mum is allowed to upgrade her phone every year, but she never wants a new one, so i think i can use her upgrade and get a K800i for free while she keeps her old phone :D. I did the same thing last year to get a K750i.

18. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey... guess what...

...not a single mark!

Not one!

:p

19. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Me too! :D
    I bought my black 8GB nano 2 weeks ago, and have had it in my jeans pocket every day without any kind of protection, and there is not one scratch, except for some faint marks on the plastic top (only visible in bright light).
    Also, there is no sign of the clickwheel, hold switch or headphone jack being loose. The only problem was that the front of the box was a bit scratched, but all of the black ones in John Lewis were like that, and there is no way i'm gonna take it back just because of that.
    The new nano is, without a doubt, my favourite iPod ever! :D

20. iLuvmyiPod macrumors newbie

Loose CLickWheel

I love my iPod Nano 2nd Generation 2 gb is all the storage i need.
    I treat it like a Queen. The clickwheel is only a little bit loose. But other than That... I will never buy anything but an iPod in the future go APPLE :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::D:D:D:cool:
    They make really Futuristic Products!

My sister has an iPod Nano Generation 3 and I hate it... It is way to wide and the click wheel is way too small. But I still respect APPLE The products they make are top of the line:apple::apple:

21. aethelbert macrumors 601