Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Yeah i exchanged it . Battery life is still terrible, lasts for over an hour from 100 to 88%,then in less than 2 hours goes from 88 to 20. battery will be worn out in a year

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Nothing intensive really, checking various apps, twitter, reddit, email, some video streaming, 50% brightness, everything turned off except wifi. .If i use pandora with screen off or airplay with screen off then ok yeah the battery doesn't drop, but for most things you need the screen on. I am guessing people claiming long battery life are getting that with screen turned off.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Nothing intensive really, checking various apps, twitter, reddit, email, some video streaming, 50% brightness, everything turned off except wifi. .If i use pandora with screen off or airplay with screen off then ok yeah the battery doesn't drop, but for most things you need the screen on. I am guessing people claiming long battery life are getting that with screen turned off.

That is about what I do as well, maybe listen to music a bit more because I generally have music playing at least 10 hours in the course of my day, but I would say at least half that time the screen is own doing other things. I am getting a full days use. The one thing that I probably do less than you is video as I just find the screen really too small to enjoy video on, but do occasionally watch one in the spur of the moment. I guess if I had to put a percentage of time my screen is on, it would likely be at about 35 to 40 % of my daily use time. The rest is listening to music with the screen off.

mwebb

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
The battery is not close to 8 hours on wifi. I am lucky to get 4.5 with just about everything like background app refresh turned off. What are others getting

4 hours 18 minutes on first full charge/discharge cycle.

All background app refresh turned off except Google Photos (so it will upload my photos when I start taking some).

All Spotlight turned off except Apps (in case I can't find an App on its screen).

75% brightness (estimated).

This from PCMag: "Our battery rundown test is brutal: we stream a full-screen YouTube video over Wi-Fi with the brightness and volume turned all the way up. In that test, we got about 4 hours to 4 hours, 15 minutes of battery life with the new iPod, as compared with about 4, 45 minutes with the previous unit. Apple promises eight hours of video playback, but that's locally stored video, and with the screen brightness set to about half." http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488093,00.asp

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.