Returning a BTO: Hints, Tips, Tricks, etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Today I helped a friend return a BTO 12" PB G4. There was nothing wrong with it, he just really decided that he didn't need a laptop, as he already has a cube.

Of course Apple doesn't allow the return of BTO's.....unless you really beg...

I think this thread can be a good place to post your return stories, tips, tricks, etc. If everyone contributes, other readers will be able to use the information and have better luck trying to return their BTO.

I really only said one thing to Apple, and surprisingly, after being put on hold for a minute or so, they agreed to take it back. (Must bring to store).

Here's what I said:

Bah, lady heard that, put be on hold, and came back all happy and said that she has spoken to someone higher up and they are going to allow the return. She said to just bring it to the store, and told my friend something to tell them so they know that Apple approves the return.

Post your tips and tricks and help everyone out!

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, I wish I'd talked to that person when I tried to alter my BTO PB order last year. I forgot to add the backlit keyboard to my 15" 1.33GHz Combo. The only option I'd ordered was an extra 256MB RAM, and I spent almost an hour talking and being on hold, to no avail. I called the next day to change the order, I hadn't received it, the website said it hadn't shipped, but they checked and said the website wasn't updated, the PB was en route, and I was out of luck.

I'm still a little bitter...but I love my PB just the same (well, almost the same).

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Aw that's too bad. The backlight is a gimmick anyway. In the dark, the screen lights up the keyboard lol.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Powermac666, I feel for you since it was just extra RAM and it was still open but I'm sorry, ITASOR, but why the heck should Apple have to take the hit on a BTO PB just because your friend changed his mind? You decide on whether you want a laptop before you order it, not after you receive it.

5. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, I understand completely why they wouldn't take it. If I was Apple, I wouldn't take ANY back, at all, no exceptions. The fact that you can indeed return a BTO means that it is possible for some reason, so I decided to see how other people had to return their BTO's.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Its not a gimmick when I can't see how to type at night and I turn the backlight on and then I can see. :p It helps for those of us that can't type without looking at the keyboard. (I know, my teacher in school used to get on me for it too...)

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't want to turn this into a bitter "Apple won't take my BTO" but I had a pretty frustrating experience as well. My iMac wouldn't spit out a cd the second night I had it and after lots of red tape and bs, one of the many people I spoke w/ through AppleCare determined that my machine could qualify as a DOA and they would send me a brand new replacement. However, they wouldn't be able to even give me a lousy $10 to replace the cd that would be "lost forever" that was still stunk in my optical drive. So instead, it took over 3.5 weeks to get my drive fixed, cd returned to me, and of course I found out later that on MR the same situation occured w/ another member but he was lucky enough to have a replacement sent to him and money for his lost cd before my situation was even resolved. :mad:

8. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

If the CD was only $10, why didn't you consider it DOA, take a new iMac, and buy another $10 CD?

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Principles, my dear.... Why couldn't a huge multi-million (billion?) dollar company allot $10 when I dished out about $2,000 on their faulty machine?

10. drison macrumors regular

drison

I dunno. I can see both sides, but being that Apple is a large retailer of computers, not Dell no, but still, it really should be built into their business model. Have you ever seen Dell's refurb site? For every 1 finicky person, there are atleast 10 more that would easily spend $100 or $200 *less* for a "refurb" system. Apple has a good refurb store now and probably with some enhancement could handle the type of dynamics that Dell's refurb store does.

Just a thought. :)

-Dave

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, dell's return policy rocks. no questions asked, up to 3 weeks from invoice date. i bought an inspiron :)eek: ) earlier this year but realized that for half the cash i could get a desktop with more performance, so after i'd had it for ~1.5 weeks i just sent it back :D
    yeah, it sucks not being able to return a bto. that's why i didnt get my ipod engraved...:(

12. wide macrumors 6502a

i agree. i've had to get a replacement keyboard from dell twice in under a year, and i cannot imagine how much money/time it would take for me to get a replacement keyboard from apple. another great thing :))) about Dell is their online chat...a feature that Apple desperately needs. i can't believe that the applestore "genius" bar is the best Apple can do for support -- no at-home support, and lines at the NYC SoHo store that take hours to get ahead in, even with a reservation. and to top it off, i knew more about macs than the guy that "helped" me (i ended up having to send off my iPod and pay $30 dollars b/c the guy was such a ******* and didn't believe me or want to believe me.

13. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, with Apple as well as most companies, it really depends on who you get and what mood you get them in...

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Much less a replacement BTO machine!

Apple does have an online chat now. At least for iMacs.

15. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Ohhh I'm trying this chat thing...they should have this forever thing?! Maybe they have lots of problems with iMacs? It's nice to be able to ask something quick without all the photo wait time, etc.

16. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yikes, they can't even take a good joke. Yeah I know, I shouldn't abuse the thing, but he was giving me a hard time about giving him my phone number...

See attached.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.