Returning an un-opened Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tanglewoodtree, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tanglewoodtree macrumors newbie

tanglewoodtree

As I'm sure is the case with many people, I've been eagerly awaiting Apple to announce the current Mac mini update. So, I think I'm going to just take the plunge (and my chances) and order one from the Apple Online Store. But, I am consfused by their return policy (just in case I get the older rev). Do I have to pay the restocking fee on any returned computer? Or would I only have the pay the 10% if I open the box, as it mentions below?

I was planning on punching the serial number into the support page before opening to determine if I had recieved a new one. I guess I could just go for the $30 BTO modem. Its just on the off chance I get the old model, I would be stuck with it.

Some illumination would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I purchased one last spring, then returned it unopened. No restocking fee - just do it in the time allotted (10 days? two weeks? I forget).

3. Aliquis macrumors regular

Aliquis

if they have a computer with internet in the shop, just ask them if they will help you check the rev by putting in the serial to check in the store. I believe the serial is on the outside UPC, so tell them you will be willing to buy a new mac right now but you want to have them (or you) check it first.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Someone posted on here the serial number beginnings of the new Mini's, if you get that, you would be able to determine if it's the new Mini when you get it because, to my understanding, the boxes are not printed with the new specs. They still have the same boxes that the last rev has for some dumb reason.

5. tanglewoodtree thread starter macrumors newbie

tanglewoodtree

Aahah! Thanks. I think its 10 days. Did you buy it online or at a physical Apple store? I would love to go to B&M store, but there aren't any in my area. I guess I could go to a CompUSA, but they probably have a different return policy(?).

EDIT: Oh, wait, I just checked and there is an Apple Store in NH. Maybe I can check that out tomorrow after work.