Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salas2324

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hey guys, I just bought the product red iPod and it will be my first iOS device, that I actually own. I'm not new to apple. But I am to owning my own product, especially a red 5th gen touch, since no one I know has a 5th gen, and I'm sure no one around here has a red lol. Anyways, if one day I break the screen or it malfunctions, I've heard you can't return or fix the engraved iPods. I actually risked it and engraved mines (so if lost or stolen its hard to deny its mines, and sell it) is this true? Or can I go to an apple store if something does go wrong? Seeing how its red and engraved I think the store will trip on me saying they won't replace it. But I may be wrong. Any info is appreciated :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Engraving by Apple will not void your warranty, however, it is non-refundable.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If it malfunctions within warranty period, i think u can get exchanged. But i dont know about the engraving part.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If it breaks:

In an Apple Store: it can be replaced with a generic device (i.e. with no engraving).

Via AppleCare over the Phone: They can order you a replacement with the same engraving. You cannot, however, change the engraving, and it adds about 5 days to the replacement time.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So if my iPod breaks I can replace it..

But if I get bored of it in a week, I'm stuck with it. ?

Yeap. If you really didn't know if you were gonna like it or not then you shouldn't have gone and engraved it though. Hope you are enjoying it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.