Returning iPod for newer one?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kafro, Oct 18, 2006.

1. kafro macrumors newbie

I have heard a couple of my friends parents taking their iPods to an Apple store with the receipt and box and all and then replacing it with either the same one, or a newer version +price difference. I just got the new 30g video iPod for my birthday this weekend and want to know if I can go to the Apple store in December and trade it in for the new video iPod that is supposed to be released. Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The new video iPod was just released, so your parents probably got the newer one if they bought it in the last couple of weeks. Why would a new iPod come out after just 3 or 4 months? The usual update cycle is about a year.

3. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, it's hard to say new ipod. it's all the same excepting few other features. so it's not really another generation ipod video. it's still 5G ipod anyway. it seems that Apple needed more time to roll out 6G ipod video. there have been a lot of rumors on it. one of them were about difficult technology hurddle for 6G ipod that they needed time. so even it would be December. it's not weird at all. I have higher expectation.

4. robPOD macrumors 6502

5. kafro thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm sorry i should specify. the ipod i got is the new video ipod version, but in december they will release a new ipod with the huge video and touch screen. i want that one :D so if it comes out as planned in december i want to go to an apple store and replace my 5g ipod for the 6g

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Really? Can you show me on Apple's website where the new iPod was announced prior to shipping? Can you show me anywhere on the net that confirms that a new iPod will be arriving this year - rumour sites don't count because they aren't official sources.

What do you mean "as planned"? Apple haven't announced anything at all about a new iPod. You're taking what the rumour sites are saying as fact, a very bad idea most of the time, look at all the folks that have been waiting since early August for the new MacBook Pro...

And I doubt they're going to allow you to trade straight up. They'll probably charge you a 10% restocking fee on top of an open-box fee and then the extra to jump up to the price of this fabled widescreen iPod that hasn't been announced and for all we know might not arrive till mid-next year.

7. kafro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thank you for the very negative post Chundles, but you answered my question so thanks.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Maybe if you never open the box of the iPod you have now, and wait until next year when I think they will release the new iPod, then maybe you could trade it in for the newer iPod. That sounds like hours of fun with the iPod you have now. The iPods out now are really nice and if you really want the next one that we don't know what it will look like or feature or when it will come out, then I suggest just to wait.

9. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Outside of fourteen days, you're out of luck on the whole return for something new bit. You can't bring an iPod in anytime after you buy it to trade up- you can't do this with really ANY retail product.