returning my 2nd 24inch iMac....damn humm

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rychiar, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

So i got my first 24inch iMac from Amazon and it had the brightness related hum that was also effected by the angle of the monitor and it was really annoying. I got apple to exchange that for a new one. The new one also had a brightness related buzz. Not as bad but it never went away even on max brightness it just got lesser so now i got them to take this one back. I'm so sick of all the hassles with this damn machine, now im waiting for my third one... Does anyone not have horror stories with this machine? I'd like to know some exist without the electrical hum so im not just settin myself up for another fall:mad:

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have to say mine is perfect. No hum, no dead pixels, very quiet.

3. Rychiar thread starter macrumors 6502

Rychiar

thanks. i notice you're from england. I wonder if the country matters. I think a large batch of them here have this problem. I'm def scared of ending up with one with dead pixels as well but so far i been luckily free of that problem

4. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

5. fall3n macrumors 6502

I wouldn't really call that a horror story, it's just an anoyyance when everything is really really quiet. Of course it shouldn't even happen, but in the operational sense everything works perfectly, so in my definition that's not a horror story, but an anoyyance. I get the same hum, but I didn't used to. I think it starts if you even touch the brightness control, because I think that's when mine started. I also just noticed the weirdest thing, the hum stops when you have year head a foot away from the screen (on my system), of course this is far from practical, but i thought that was pretty weird. I have the hum and a couple stuck pixels, but i don't want to send it in right now, so i'll just wait a bit.

6. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I got a 20" iMac from Amazon a few weeks back and it came with 3 dead pixels, uneven backlighting and a big scratch on the top of the casing. I was not pleased. I hope your new 24" does not have any issues.

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Both my original and replacement hummed. But the replacment had a perfect LCD and ram that did suck.

SO there are 24" iMacs out there that do not hum? Interesting. I thought they all did

8. Rychiar thread starter macrumors 6502

Rychiar

yea i gave this one a week just to see if there was a difference over time. I just wish apple would admit to the problem as you see it alot on these forums and theirs. I've almost gotten used to it now as its still quieter than any other mac i ever owned but the fact that its electrical scares me. My iMac G5 had its power source blow right after the warranty ended and i dont want that again.

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Is it just me or are whines/hums/buzzes Apple's specialty lately haha.

10. wchong macrumors 6502

where was it shipped from?

mine shipped from shanghai and no problems

11. Rychiar thread starter macrumors 6502

Rychiar

1st one came from amazon so i dunno, 2nd one came from Apple in Cali

12. bluewire macrumors member

Hey

I just wanted to confirm that my iMac does not hum or sing or anything else. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

It is also very quiet, i hear the HD spin and the fan will come on every so often but its a pretty rare event. its also in a TV room so I don't notice it ever.

13. governor macrumors member

governor

Dude.. I'm on my 4th iMac.. :eek:

This one ive got now though is perfect in every aspect. What also differs this one to the other ones, is that this one is the first i didn't buy from applestore. It's from the local dealer.

Hmm.. makes one think.. :rolleyes:

14. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Are you impressed with the 24"?. I'm sure it must be a world of difference compared to the cube. Speaking of which, have you sold the cube yet?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a hell of a lot brighter. Makes the 22" look positively jaundiced. I'm rather enjoying having both on my desk for the moment, but it'll probably pass... :)

16. volk macrumors member

Mine has the hum issue, but it doesn't really bother me much. What DOES bother me is a fan that seems to be somewhat unruly. It seems to come on at random, and it won't spin down, regardless of what is actually being done with the computer.

It is louder than it was when I got it, and I am starting to consider taking it in to an Apple Store to have it checked out. The problem is the Apple Store is all the way in Denver...3 hours from me :(

17. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

22"?!

18. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

All this talk of hums and dead pixels is scaring me... my 24 incher arrives next friday...

19. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

22' Cinema display.

[​IMG]

20. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Oh weird, I didn't know Apple ever made a 22" display!