Returning Sims 2: ran really poorly

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kinneas, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Kinneas macrumors member

I got the Sims 2 for my girlfriend who has a Powerbook G4 12in (Geforce go5200) based on the fact that an employee I asked told me that it should run fine on her computer. He claimed that it ran fine on his ibook which is a step down from the Powerbook.

I installed it on my Macbook (crappy GMA 900) and of course the quality was terrible on the lowest of settings. I was hoping that it'd be at least playable. Some of my friends have said that it'd be no better on the Powerbook.

Their policy is no returns on opened games which is understandable becuase they want to prevent piracy. However I was told explicitly by an Apple Store employee that it would run fine.

What do you think? Should it be returnable or not? I may make a scene/get the manager and make a scene but I really don't like doing that, especially with a company that for the most part I am very satisfied with.

Has anyone else had comparable experiences?

2. Policar macrumors 6502a

It's not to prevent piracy; Apple loses all the money on the sale if you return it. On hardware they get something back from the manufacturer. I assume you've installed all the latest patches (Universal Binary) and everything?

3. Kinneas thread starter macrumors member

Yeah everything is up to date. It just isn't nearly powerful enough to run Sims 2. I feel that the person who confirmed that it would run just fine decieved me a little. I don't mean that it was on purpose but it should be reasonable that I get a refund...

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

How much RAM do you have? The Sims 2 is very CPU and RAM dependant.

5. Kinneas thread starter macrumors member

2GB of 666mhz DDR2

I just sent a very reasonable yet firm email to the store's address. Hopefully I won't have to make a public scene. Apple is really good with PR and I hope they won't overlook this one.

I made the point of saying that I am coming in to service my Macbook and I may potentially discuss the problem further. I'd be fairly embarassed for them if they want it to turn to that.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Damn then its definitely your XMA3000 holding you back (and OSX), the game would run much better on WinXP but thats not an option for your girlfriend obviously...

Well I say make a fuss and return it though I find it a little odd that it doesn't run well, I've tried The Sims 2 on some royal crap PCs and the game worked fine (a 1.5ghz pentium m computer with 512mb of ram and a mobility 9000) so maybe something is not right?

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

There go my chances of playing this on my Mac... good luck on your visit, I hope the employees are understanding

8. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Agreed - it's real crap if The Sims 2 doesn't run well on a brand-new MacBook. I mean, the game's what, three years old?

9. Kinneas thread starter macrumors member

Well... my gfs PC only has 256mb. But that wouldn't affect framerate too much.

Hers has a go5200 64meg
    Mine has a GMA 900 64meg shared.

Anyone know if it will run better on her mac compared to mine? I've been told that it won't be much better so that's why I should just return the game and get her a better card for her other comp(PC).

If the game would run reasonably on her Powerbook, then I'd keep it; if not then yeah.. definitely not worth keeping a $70 game.

10. sixstorm macrumors regular

Just got this game from Amazon and I'll have to say that it does run pretty crappy on Mac hardware. My iBook G4 runs it ok but the textures are horrible. However, on my iMac Core Duo, it runs a whole lot smoother with the graphics turned up. I used to own this game back on a really nice gaming PC (AMD 3500+, 7800GT, 1GB) but it still ran mediocre. I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't expect it to run flawlessly. I wouldn't be surprised to see another patch . . .