Rev 3 of G5's coming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by woodsie, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. woodsie macrumors member

    Jan 13, 2005
    wondering if anybody has heard or knows of any newer G5's versons coming out?

    i'm thinking about buying a dual 2 Ghz. currently got a beige G3 for last 8's been a very long wait to upgrade. hate to do it now and then something newer comes out. lol. :rolleyes:
  2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

    psycho bob

    Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Well I don't expect anything for the next month or so. I placed an order for a Dual 2.5 at the begining of the week. The waiting time for an off the shelf model is 1-2 weeks and even though I added a lot of bits to it the time didn't change, the the biggest delay is still the 2.5GHz G5's and until that is sorted I can't see an update happening. Afterall if IBM can't supply enough CPU's for the current top model there's no point in ending up with another one above it that is never in stock.
    I suspect that when we see dual 2.5's available to ship in 1-3 days the supply issues will be sorted and a new model could be launched. You have to wonder what kind of an update it will be though. At this rate only the CPU's will be changed after all the supply of top graphics cards (6800 Ultra and X800) is bad to none existant so moving to PCI Express would just result in a lot of wasted hardware. We might see a RAM update, bigger hard drives and new optical drives but I feel a wholesale revision might have to wait until 2006.
    All in all I expect around Tiger time for some sort of update, so the middle of the year would be my guess.
  3. logical001 macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2005
    Personally, I don't think it will be too long before Mac do go to REV 3 and introduce a 3GHZ. A few months, if that.
    Apart from the pressure from consumers (afterall, Steve Jobs is now over a year behind on his promise) graphics card vendors will be keen to phase in PCI Express and DDR2 as per the PC world. Also, the last update was June last year which means on Apple's production schedules the update(s) will have already been made and suppliers sourced / ready. On another thread someone posted an Apple PowerPC motherboard schematic from a suppliers website which would support this. I guess the limiting factor is IBM and the blip shortage of Nvidia 6800 cards they had over Christmas. However, I expect once the bulk of 2.5 orders are fulfilled we may start recieving news of an imminent update. A jump by 1GHZ to 3.5 GHZ would be nice, but 1. Their marketing deaprtment won't allow this and 2. I doubt they can get them stable enough at this clock speed yet without a liquid cooled wind farm running full tilt most the time.


  4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

    psycho bob

    Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    WOW! I'm stunned, having ordered my 2.5 on Friday (I think :confused: ) I didn't expect to hear anything until the 31st of Jan at the earliest. But guess what... I checked and it has shipped today! Maybe they are sorting out the supply issues after all.
  5. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    I am guessing by May. ;)
  6. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 8, 2004
    Can I ask what you people buying the dual 2.5's are going to be using them for?

    I am always amazed at the people who buy a Corvette when all the need is a Cobalt.
  7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030


    Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    Psst... I hate you. ;) *still using a Blue and White G3, soon to be a Yikes G4*
  8. carpet macrumors member

    Jan 13, 2005
    Bragging rights of course :D J.k. probably video editing,graphic design
  9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Word Processing, Email, Music... that kind of stuff. :p

    Latest I've heard is that a powermac update is due in February topping out at 2.8GHz. (2.3, 2.5, 2.8)
  10. ravenvii macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    My gut tells me that it'll just be a "reshuffling" (*cough*) of the PowerMac line, changing it to a 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 GHz lineup.

    That's just my gut, it's often wrong.
  11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    That would be a more even line up rather than 1.8, 2.0, then a big jump to 2.5. Maybe they figure more consumers pick the middle of the road and its only about $500 more for a much bigger upgrade.

    Also they obviously already have the 2.3 for the Xserves. Why not just throw some of those in the mix.
  12. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 8, 2004
    What would you like to see on the face of the PMG5? Firewire 800 yet? An analog clock? Remeber the G4 faces changed...

    But, I must say, it makes my first gen G5 look like the latest! Would a G6 be carbon fiber body? Or would it resemble the Pontiac G6?

  13. Mudbug Administrator emeritus


    Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    maybe, but Apple's generally not in the market of making things that look ugly and slow. :D
  14. logical001 macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2005
    A jump by just 300MHZ would be quite annoying. If they did it would indicate that they are having real problems with heat etc..

    Personally I'm hoping for a 2.3, 2.5, and 3.0 line-up which would then see them through the rest of the year.

    I Already have a dual 2.0 at the office but the one I'm waiting to order (after update) is for video work at home. When you are doing renders on a 40 minute sequence you need all the MHZ and speed you can get!!!

    Doesn't hurt Halo either ;)
  15. gekko513 macrumors 603


    Oct 16, 2003
    I doubt that we'll see the PowerPC 970FX pushed much further than 2.5GHz, so we will not see a major performance jump before a new PowerPC cpu model is ready.
  16. keysersoze macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    Will the 2.3 need liquid cooling?
  17. combatcolin macrumors 68020


    Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK

    Theres been advances in cooling so maybe it won't.
  18. gekko513 macrumors 603


    Oct 16, 2003
    I don't think that the 2.5GHz requires liquid cooling either, just that it requires liquid cooling to do it silently.

    The Xserves are 2.3GHz with air cooling and they have stricter limits for stability, less space for heat spreaders and fans, and are made to be packed closely together in a rack. The Xserves do not need to be silent, though.
  19. iriejedi macrumors 6502a


    Oct 4, 2000
    Nor Cal
    Mac Mame

    I use mine for Mac MAME - I love playing Galaga with the 6800 card! :p

    Irie J

    PS - Asteroids plays better now too! :eek:

  20. chelseasian macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)
    Surf the internet mostly and iTunes. :p
  21. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    On this I hope that your gut is wrong. If there is no change is speed with Rev. C, then Apple will need to introduce something new.
  22. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    NO. :)

    I hope Apple is not moving into the 12 month PMG5 upgrading cycle, this would mean no PMG5 until May-June 2005. :mad:

    Hope Apple releases something so by the time its WWDC '05 I can have a new refurb 2.8GHz PMG5. ;) :)
  23. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2004
    North Yorkshire
    I'm hoping for one in the next couple of weeks. But we haven't heard any End of Life rumors yet so....?

    This is agonising - I don't mind if they don't go over 2.5ghz.

    Apple just do something so I can say yes this is new and place my order.

  24. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

    psycho bob

    Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Well various things but mainly DVD composition (incorporating Motion), Final Cut, and RAW based Photoshop work. I can assure you the machine will be used 24/7 and used hard. I love to multitask, so the ability to render on one CPU while working on the other is a god send. I could have gone for a dual 2.0 but once configured the price difference was only £300 so I think for 1GHz extra CPU power it is worth it.

    I'm annoyed though because although the Powermac shipped yesterday it has spent the last 24 hours+ stuck in the TNT distribution centre in Cork!! What gives? I thought it would have at least made England by now. Anyone else waiting on TNT?
  25. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2004
    Something I'd like to see, completely out of vanity, is to get rid of the flimsy plastic CD tray. I was really surprised when I saw them in the store, and while every other little detail was so streamlined, you still had this terrible plastic thing coming out whenever you wanted to load a cd/dvd. Everything else has slot-loaded drives (san emac), why not the top of the line model?

    Maybe I'm just bitter because I bought an iBook not long before they switched to the slot-loaded method....I hate CD trays.

Share This Page