Rev A 12' PB Fan and 10.3.4

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Teronke, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Teronke macrumors member

Hi,

I've found that the update to 10.3.4 still results in the fan running constantly on my Rev A 12' PB. This is particularly annoying especially when working in a quiet area e.g. a library.

Is there any way to get round this??? I had previously installed Silent Night when I was running 10.3.2. However, that work around no longer seems to work.

I may have to revert back to my cloned 10.3.2 if no solution is out there, which is a shame since most of the updates requires one to be running 10.3.4.

Any advice would be most welcomed

Cheers

2. frenetic macrumors regular

Have you tried zapping pram and resetting the power manager? Also, repair your permissions. If that doesn't work get back here.

3. Teronke thread starter macrumors member

Done all that however the fan still kicks in much earlier than it ever did pre-10.3.2

Basically every time I hook it up to the mains the fan will start running after a 1/2 hour or so. And this is when I'm only emailing and surfing.

On the upside the PB does seem to run cooler though.

However, on balance I would prefer a warmer PB over a noiser one anyday especially if stuck in a place like the library

4. frenetic macrumors regular

I think that's normal behaviour, actually. If I remember correctly in 10.3.2 they lowered the temperature at which fan the kicks in. I've also noticed on my former 12 rev A that the fan would start blowing during charging. Apparently heat rises very rapidly while charging, and it is quite unrelated to CPU use. So if you are in a library try to work on battery, that way the fan will rarely start...

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member