Rev A 12" Powerbook... Audio clicking before playing a sound?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hodapp, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Hey guys,

My PowerBook speakers keep clicking before a sound is played, and it's getting kind of annoying. After a few minutes of no audio what so ever, whenever something needs to make a noise, whether someone signs off iChat, or I get new mail or something, the speakers seem to initialize themselves with a little click, kind of like the sound a clock radio makes right when you turn it on.

It only makes this sound if no audio has been played for a while. If I'm playing music in iTunes, everything sounds great. It's almost like the PowerBook puts the audio section of the logic board to sleep, then when it senses it has to play a sound, it wakes it up again.

Is this just a problem with the Revision A Powerbooks, or is my Powerbook special? Or is there a setting or something I can turn on or off to fix this?

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

I have a rev A I bought in early Feb and it has the same problem. I believe a number of people have had the problem. I also think it is exactly what you think, the sound module is put to sleep and clicks back on when it needs to make a sound.

I also have no problems playing iTunes, Real Player, etc. It is just when the computer sits for a while, or especially if the computer was asleep.

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

same problem. For some reason the thing stopped doing it when I installed panther. May just be me ignoring it now, though. :p

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ditto

Same problem here, Panther made no difference. Yes it is kind of annoying, but I got used to it, well sort of. The sound pop is annoying, but until Apple fixes it we are stuck with it. I don't think the pop happens if you have headphones or speakers atatched (prove me wrong children) Hope this is fixed later, maybe I'll keep iTunes playing real low 24/7 ;)

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I had same problem with G5 1.8
    I had JBL creature speakers plugged in and many times it would, like you said click, like a static hitting the speakers wire.
    It never really went away, so i just learned to ignore it.