Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm just wondering how your 15" Powerbook 1ghz or 1.25ghz has been holding up. I have a chance to keep either a 1.33ghz 15" combo drive or a 1.25ghz 80gb superdrive. I actually like the 1.25ghz a little more (mainly because it is in a little better cosmetic condition). But what scares me is how people have had problems with their rev a's in the past.

The rev a that I have right now is in gorgeous mint condition, but I wonder if problems (especially with the screen) will develop all of a sudden. Have any of you just one day turned on your powerbook to find the infamous white spots? Or have any other issues developed?

Let me know what you think, and even which powerbook you would keep.

Thanks so much!!

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
love my 1.25 rev. a

I've had the 1.25GHz since september of 2003. The only problem I have had is the infamous white spots. I sent it back to apple and got a new screen about 4 months after my original purchase. I threw in a extra gig of RAM (not from apple) and now it seems there's nothing my PB can't adequately handle. If I was you, I would keep the 15" just for the screen size alone. Especially if it's your primary computer like mine is.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Both are 15". So since the repair, your screen and everything else is fine?

thanks!

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
yup. no problems since. i also made sure to by the three year apple care to be on the safe side. since both are 15", I guess your choice is between DVD burning and GPU make & model. i'm sure you'll be happy either way.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
How is the heat on your powerbook? Does it get hot? Can you compare it with any of the newer ones?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Mine is holding up well. I never suffered from the screen issues so it's not been back to Apple for anything. It is a little warm under heavy usage, but you can still sit comfortably with it on your lap. I had to buy a new battery as the old one was not holding it's charge too well, but that was only to be expected as I did not use it on battery power enough.

I've had it since they were first available in the UK so I think I've got my moneys worth all ready and I don't see any reason to upgrade to one of the new ones yet. When dual core, or dare I say it, G5 PowerBooks are available I'll think about a new one.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Which model do you have?

Did you buy a newer model battery (for the later model powerbooks)? Does that give you improved life?

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
kmarketing said:
Hi,

Which model do you have?

Did you buy a newer model battery (for the later model powerbooks)? Does that give you improved life?

Thanks!

Sorry! I've got the 1.25Ghz Superdrive model with the faster harddrive (80Gb 5400rpm drive). I've got an additional 512Mb of RAM (cheap stuff but it works). I bought the battery just before Christmas so it's the newer high capacity battery. It doesn't make as much difference as I thought it might. My batter is reading 91% and I've got 2:10 left, airport on, bluetooth on screen at about 2/3 brightness. If my experience is anything to go by it will actually run longer than it claims at this stage. So not amazing, but more than acceptable.

Edit: Just dropped to 90% and 2:16, told you it would run longer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.