Rev A 17" PB fan driving me cRaZy !!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 5300cs, Aug 4, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have a Rev A 17" PB. 1Ghz, 60g drive, 512ram, 10.4.2

When it heats up and the fan kicks in, it's LOUD & ANNOYING!!

Hear it for yourself, I made a quick video: here It may sound like just static buzz it's really, really, REALLY annoying. It's more like a buzzing and I do not think it's normal at all.

I bought this machine last year so it's already out of warrantee/repair/whatever. If I brought it to an Apple store to have it looked at, what do you think they'd do? Fix it? How much would that cost?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

sounds like it needs some WD40 on it Take it to an Apple Store now and pay to get it done !!

if the fan goes so does your chip !

3. iGav macrumors G3

I had a similar problem on my TiBook earlier this year, the secondary fan (the one under the right speaker) was beginning to buzz whenever it was running, which bugged the sh*t out of me... although not massively noticable, it was beginning to get worse.

So I took it to the Brum Apple Store to get it fixed under AppleCare, along with a duff SuperDrive, the first time they said they fixed it, and that it wasn't the fan but a loose wire touching it, it wasn't of course :rolleyes: it was the fan so I had to take it back to be replaced.

Unfortunately they replaced it with a brand new fan that emits a high pitch sound now when it's on which is even more annoying than the buzzing noise. :rolleyes: so when I get chance it'll be going back to Apple to have that replaced, along with the screen and logic board, as that's beginning to give me problems too. :rolleyes:

Anyway, according to my reciept had I not had AppleCare the repair would have cost me £22.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:eek: You still going to get AppleCare next time?

5. iGav macrumors G3

yep... so far since I bought this PowerBook in Jan 2003 and taking into account the next batch of repairs it'll need next month, it'll have had in total...

3 x screens
    3 x logic boards
    3 x secondary fans
    3 x SuperDrives
    1 x base cover

I dread to think how much that would have cost me without AppleCare. :eek: :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iGav, you been using it in the kitchen to chop your veggies on or something? :eek:

AppleCare = truly justified!

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It sounds a little bit like my 12" PB fan did a month ago. It was out of warranty and the HD had also crashed, so I opened it up to replace the HD. I had to remove 36 screws, but it wasn't that hard with the help of one of the detailed service guides that you can find on the internet. I took the opportunity to oil the fan with some sewing machine oil and now it's back to normal.

8. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Eep, that's a lot of work :eek:

Knock on wood, the only problem I've had with my TiBook is the paint peeling off. AppleCare wouldn't take care of that :mad:

9. iGav macrumors G3

The thing is... my TiBook is an absolute minter, truly is box fresh... even the keyboard and trackpad look spanking (I never use them). :eek: ;) :D

I've never had problems with the paint finish on any of my TiBooks though... :p

If you're feeling adventurous, replace the fan yourself... it looks like half/hour job tops. ;)

Rinky dink link