Rev. A iMac G5 Airport extreme card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by clykins90, Jun 26, 2005.

1. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Ever since I've gotten my iMac, my internet download speeds have been below average on it. I have 2 other macs in the house and a PC and they all work just fine. The problem is the iMac's surfing speed and general downloading speed is SLOW. Max download speed I get is 10kbps on any site. Normal for my is 80-150kbps. On all of the other computers, download speed and surfing speed is normal, but not on the iMac G5. I've tried reconnecting AE card numerous times (the antenna does double-click) and I even stuck another Airport express as a repeater. No change.

My whole network is running on wireless G. I get all 5 bars on airport. All of the computers are running 10.4.1. I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?
  2. Zeekium macrumors newbie

May 30, 2005
    the airport signal gets screwed up sometimes if there is aluminum in its path, so maybe you have like a lamp or something made of aluminum blocking...
  3. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    There is no aluminum in its path, but the internet is still REALLY slow...does 802.11b get better range???
  4. sacear macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    802.11b and 802.11g

802.11b gets better range and is less easily obstructed, but has lower theoretical "maximum" connect speeds.

802.11g has shorter range, yet higher theoretical "maximum" connect speeds. Plus appliances (especially microwave ovens and cordless phones) usually interfere on the signal frequency.

I consistently get better performance from 802.11b wireless, in both range and speed. My 802.11b system downloads much faster than my 802.11g system. I have not been able to get Airport Extreme set to 802.11g to work as I expect. The signal is dropped more often than connected and the range is very short. I must be in the same room as the 802.11g base to get connection, which defeats the whole purpose of wireless. So I switched back to 802.11b, which is much more reliable form my experience. With one wireless base on 802.11b, I get signal anywhere in my house and outside, as opposed to 802.11g, which I must be in the same room as base to get good signal connection.