Rev A Intel Laptops... Will you buy??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaKashMoney, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2005
    #1
    This is a more a poll of sorts, but assuming Mactel lappers roll out in January, will you buy? Performance vs. risk of bugs - Whats your take?
     
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #2
    I'm waiting for rev B. Maybe even rev C. I see no reason to put out over $2000 to be a beta tester.
     
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

    OutThere

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2002
    Location:
    NYC
    #3
    Absolutely not when they first come out...I'll wait at least a few months to see what people say, try a couple out, and look at software compatibility issues, then, and only then, will I buy.
     
  4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

    macbaseball

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Northern California
    #4
    If it's the perfect iBook, and there are no bad reports, I might buy within a month. If they announced a Tivo like Mac Mini that's capable of recording both digital and analog channels, then I will buy it by the end of the day on 1/10. ;)
     
  5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

    Les Kern

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Alabama
    #5
    Apple has done a TREMENDOUS job the last few years of putting "REV A" product out the door in perfect working order.
    Put me on the list to buy.
     
  6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #6
    I disagree. I feel their products are slipping in quality as of late. Something as simple as upping the resolution has caused problems. What's going to happen when they totally change the architecture?
     
  7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #7
    Depends.

    I don't play that whole waiting game like other people.
    When Summer/Fall 2006 comes around, whatever PB is out, I am getting it for college. When I live at home there are two PB so I felt good knowing that if my PB goes down, there is a back up across the room. But when I move out to college, I need another PB as insurance beacuse my TiBook is starting to show its age.
     
  8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

    TheMonarch

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #8

    Who knows what could happen...


    pbfire3.jpg

    :eek:
     
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #9
    I have half a mind to get one, and half a mind to supplement my iBook with a cheap refurbished iMac G5 20" (rev >=C) after the Intel macs start coming out....hmmm....
     
  10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

    kwajo.com

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Bay of Fundy
    #10
    depends on two things:
    If I get accepted to my desired Master of Astronomy/Astrophysics program, I will buy, but only if it is an iBook (all I could afford by then). so there you go, in order for me to buy, i'll have to be accepted by then, and the first Intel portable will have to be an iBook, not a Powerbook.


    what are my odds on this working out? :p
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    Not that I am in the market to buy one anyway, but I would probably wait a little while to make sure there weren't any major issues. So, I guess I would answer "yes", as I would still end up buying a Rev A, just that I wouldn't be buying it right away.

    TaKashMoney, why don't you make this thread an official poll for fun?
     
  12. treblah macrumors 65816

    treblah

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    Location:
    29680
    #12
    Absolutely. I have been waiting for a new laptop for 2 years and have been saving specifically for a Intel PB since June.

    I have had nothing but good service from AppleCare and if I run into any problems I know they will be there for me.
     
  13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

    rosalindavenue

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    #13
    I guess I made this decision when I went ahead and bought my ibook after the upgrade in August. I'm a lot happier with it than I thought I might be; it has more than enough juice for me. One of these days I'll want to edit video on my laptop; at that point I'll get an intel powerbook and pass the ibook on to the kids. So put me down as waiting for a future rev.
     
  14. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #14
    With the switch to intel, there should be more updates more often. In that case, I see no reason to buy a Rev. A, when the Rev. B will have worked out most of the problems and shouldn't be that much longer of a wait.
     
  15. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
  16. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

    Tommyg117

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2005
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #16
    I would definetly wait. I have had some bad experience with it before, not from apple, but from other companies. So I will wait:) My powerbook isn't THAT old anyway! So I'll probably see what happens and when its time to finally let this one go, I'll get one, whether its revolution b or c
     
  17. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    #17
    One thing that would be a major sticking point for me if I could wait on an ibook would be the difference in battery life between the current G4 offering an an intel one. Which one will come out on top ibook wise? since battery life is of inportance thats more inportant over performance.
     
  18. TaKashMoney thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2005
    #18
    I'm a bit torn with my decision. I have the newly updated ibook 12" 1.33 ghz, but my fam is lookin to get a new laptop soon. I was thinkin of giving this book to the family and upgrading in january, but I'm worried that Id be giving up the stable stand-by, for the buggy novelty... any advice?

    And Shard, how does one put a poll into the thread?
     
  19. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

    Phatpat

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2003
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #19
    Very possibly here. I got a rev A 15" Al Powerbook, sold it for a rev A iMac g5, and now I need some more portability. I have no fears about buying 1st gen products from Apple.
     
  20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

    Cooknn

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Location:
    Fort Myers, FL
    #20
    I'll be the first in line for the smallest one they release. It will be like a big PDA - but with OS X :p
     
  21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #21
    Actually, now that I think of it, you may need to specify your post as a poll right at the start - I'm not sure if you can make it a poll after you submit the thread. In any case, if you created the thread, then down at the bottom of the screen there is an option to make it a poll. :cool:
     
  22. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

    Ryan T.

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2005
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #22
    If it's confirmed to actually allow a OS X/Windows dual boot, then yes, I will be buying.
     
  23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #23
    I don't know if that will be natively possible until Leopard is released... :eek: ;)
     
  24. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

    Texas04

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #24
    Well at this point i have one Windows PC Pentium 3 500 MHZ~,
    Chatting, surfing, and listening to music... well it slows down with just that, and thats because its a clean machine, by february ill have enough for a PB and will be lookin at the REv. A's unless rumors of the B's are less than a month away... but i will be looking at thier reviews and testing them out first before i buy. So yes i might buy a Rev. A, but after carefull reasearch.
     
  25. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

    Kobushi

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    Location:
    Right behind you.
    #25
    Nope, I sure won't. But mainly due to the fact that I just bough my laptop a few weeks ago. Although,....I usually do wait for other people to find the bugs for me :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page