Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
This is a more a poll of sorts, but assuming Mactel lappers roll out in January, will you buy? Performance vs. risk of bugs - Whats your take?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Absolutely not when they first come out...I'll wait at least a few months to see what people say, try a couple out, and look at software compatibility issues, then, and only then, will I buy.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
If it's the perfect iBook, and there are no bad reports, I might buy within a month. If they announced a Tivo like Mac Mini that's capable of recording both digital and analog channels, then I will buy it by the end of the day on 1/10. ;)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
grapes911 said:
I'm waiting for rev B. Maybe even rev C. I see no reason to put out over $2000 to be a beta tester.

Apple has done a TREMENDOUS job the last few years of putting "REV A" product out the door in perfect working order.
Put me on the list to buy.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Les Kern said:
Apple has done a TREMENDOUS job the last few years of putting "REV A" product out the door in perfect working order.
Put me on the list to buy.
I disagree. I feel their products are slipping in quality as of late. Something as simple as upping the resolution has caused problems. What's going to happen when they totally change the architecture?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Depends.

I don't play that whole waiting game like other people.
When Summer/Fall 2006 comes around, whatever PB is out, I am getting it for college. When I live at home there are two PB so I felt good knowing that if my PB goes down, there is a back up across the room. But when I move out to college, I need another PB as insurance beacuse my TiBook is starting to show its age.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
grapes911 said:
...What's going to happen when they totally change the architecture?

Who knows what could happen...

pbfire3.jpg

:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have half a mind to get one, and half a mind to supplement my iBook with a cheap refurbished iMac G5 20" (rev >=C) after the Intel macs start coming out....hmmm....

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
depends on two things:
If I get accepted to my desired Master of Astronomy/Astrophysics program, I will buy, but only if it is an iBook (all I could afford by then). so there you go, in order for me to buy, i'll have to be accepted by then, and the first Intel portable will have to be an iBook, not a Powerbook.

what are my odds on this working out? :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not that I am in the market to buy one anyway, but I would probably wait a little while to make sure there weren't any major issues. So, I guess I would answer "yes", as I would still end up buying a Rev A, just that I wouldn't be buying it right away.

TaKashMoney, why don't you make this thread an official poll for fun?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Absolutely. I have been waiting for a new laptop for 2 years and have been saving specifically for a Intel PB since June.

I have had nothing but good service from AppleCare and if I run into any problems I know they will be there for me.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I guess I made this decision when I went ahead and bought my ibook after the upgrade in August. I'm a lot happier with it than I thought I might be; it has more than enough juice for me. One of these days I'll want to edit video on my laptop; at that point I'll get an intel powerbook and pass the ibook on to the kids. So put me down as waiting for a future rev.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
With the switch to intel, there should be more updates more often. In that case, I see no reason to buy a Rev. A, when the Rev. B will have worked out most of the problems and shouldn't be that much longer of a wait.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would definetly wait. I have had some bad experience with it before, not from apple, but from other companies. So I will wait:) My powerbook isn't THAT old anyway! So I'll probably see what happens and when its time to finally let this one go, I'll get one, whether its revolution b or c

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
One thing that would be a major sticking point for me if I could wait on an ibook would be the difference in battery life between the current G4 offering an an intel one. Which one will come out on top ibook wise? since battery life is of inportance thats more inportant over performance.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
I'm a bit torn with my decision. I have the newly updated ibook 12" 1.33 ghz, but my fam is lookin to get a new laptop soon. I was thinkin of giving this book to the family and upgrading in january, but I'm worried that Id be giving up the stable stand-by, for the buggy novelty... any advice?

And Shard, how does one put a poll into the thread?

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Very possibly here. I got a rev A 15" Al Powerbook, sold it for a rev A iMac g5, and now I need some more portability. I have no fears about buying 1st gen products from Apple.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
TaKashMoney said:
And Shard, how does one put a poll into the thread?

Actually, now that I think of it, you may need to specify your post as a poll right at the start - I'm not sure if you can make it a poll after you submit the thread. In any case, if you created the thread, then down at the bottom of the screen there is an option to make it a poll. :cool:

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Well at this point i have one Windows PC Pentium 3 500 MHZ~,
Chatting, surfing, and listening to music... well it slows down with just that, and thats because its a clean machine, by february ill have enough for a PB and will be lookin at the REv. A's unless rumors of the B's are less than a month away... but i will be looking at thier reviews and testing them out first before i buy. So yes i might buy a Rev. A, but after carefull reasearch.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Nope, I sure won't. But mainly due to the fact that I just bough my laptop a few weeks ago. Although,....I usually do wait for other people to find the bugs for me :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.