rev a PB...upgrades

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joecool85, Apr 15, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

well, i have a 12" rev a pb...G4 @ 867 mhz, I have it up to the max 640 mb ram. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up? I have to admit, it goes pretty well, but I could use a little extra processing power/ram if there is someone to cheat it and have more than 640.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can go to 1.25 Gb of RAM
    http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1106

CPU? There is no safe way to increase the CPU speed.

Theoretically you could change your hard drive for a faster one - that is if your current hard drive is a 4200 RPM. 5400 RPM laptop drives are affordable, the few 7200 RPM laptop drives on the market are expensive.
    Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I think that the little bit of speed I would get off going to a 5400 HD wouldn't be worth it. The ram I'm interested in though. But it says in the manual that came with it that the max you can put in is a 512 mb chip...maybe because when I bought it the 1gb chips weren't out? I dunno.

4. Bear macrumors G3

The Developer Note for the 12" AlBook 867MHz clearly states that 512MB is the maximum supported memory module. If you dig into it, it talks about 1 GB module that is the theoretical maximum - however, it's not been tested (by Apple), it requires a certain memory module configuration, and might get touchy - make sure if you get one, you get it from a reputable vendor.

May I suggest that the best thing for you to do is probably to just save up and get a new machine? You'll get a bigger and faster disk, the ability to put in more memory, a much faster processor, a better video board and best of all, you'll get Tiger and iLife'05 as part of the deal.

5. Bear macrumors G3

1GB + 128MB RAM (built-in) is 1.125GB of RAM and not 1.25GB of RAM. The 867MHz 12" AlBook came with 128MB built-in and 128MB in the memory socket (by default).

6. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Its true, it did come with 128 built in and a 128 chip...so I upgrade to the 512 chip about 6 months ago. Def. worth it. Anyway, I am kinda planning on getting a new laptop, but probably not for another year or two. This one does everything I need it to and more. From the get go I decided I wouldn't even think about getting another laptop until the CPU speeds were double mine on the PB 12". Right now they are only up to 1.5 ghz and double mine would be roughly 1.7 ghz. So I'll probably wait till they get the dual G4 cores out or G5 laptop...who knows, maybe I'll wait for the G6. But regardless, right now its too early to spend that much on a new laptop when this thing hammers. I am thinking of an external hd...and/or maybe an iPod (right now I just have the shuffle)