Rev A TiBook Magic Shutdown problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Jam, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Jam macrumors newbie

Help! I've got a rev A 400mhz and hitting the command key makes it shut down, well, not shut down, but just shut off, like pulling the cord from a desktop. It makes keyboard short cuts impossible and is driving me crazy... Anyone else experience this?
    thanks!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you contacted Apple about it???

Have you tried resetting the PRAM (Apple+option+p+r on boot)??? How about going into the open firmware and resetting it (Apple+option+o+f and then type in "reset-all")?? You could have a defective keyboard, do you have the Applecare plan on it??

3. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Boy...that's an interesting phenom. I would just send it in to be looked at. Most likely a problem with your keyboard shorting the machine out. Is your keyboard in the slots correctly?

Or maybe you accidentally have a hot key set? I've got a Rev A 500. No probs like that. Wish I could be more helpful.

4. Jam thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i do have Applecare, so i will bring it in, just was wondering if anyone had heard of the same problem and knew a quick fix. And trying to avoid waiting for it to come back from Apple.

thanks,

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

CALL APPLE!!!

Unless you are taking to an Apple store (one of the ones that recently opened up) do NOT take it to anyone. CALL Apple FIRST. They will have you check a few things and then, if necessary, send you a shipping box. IF you take it to someone else, you are looking to extend the time you are without the laptop by at least another day or more. Apple sends you an Airborne Express box, you pack up the laptop, call Airborne who then comes and picks it up (same day). Apple gets it the next day (business day), repairs it and sends it back to you for the following day. That is, unless they are out of parts. There is a good chance they will send you a part, if it is on the list or customer/user replaceable/installable items.