Rev. A vs Rev. B question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ZildjianKX, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

With all the PPC 970 Powerbook rumors floating around, people have been talking about not getting the Rev. A powerbook and waiting for the Rev. B instead... my question is this:

Have there been any bad revision one powerbook or any other apple products? Everyone talks about "ironing out bugs"... but really, what bugs are they talking about? Adding new features? I personally expect a 100% functional product, even Rev. A... am I missing something? Thanks.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The rev. A B/W G3s had a buggy on board ATA bus that never did work right. You had to get a PCI ATA card to get a reliable interface. Also the Rev. B models had a better video card. There was only like a 3 month period in the B/W G3s between the A and B models. If there is anything wrong with a new product Apple releases there will be a very quick update in it. Also look at the MDD PowerMacs. People complained about the noise and the amount of internal heat preventing certain PCI audio cards from working in them. Well Apple fixed all the problem with the very next revision just 4months later.

3. ozubahn macrumors regular

I have a Rev A titanium PowerBook, and although there are a couple of bugs, there is nothing to make me regret buying it when I did. Apparently some people had trouble with the battery falling out, and Apple addressed this with Rev B. That never affected me. The only other changes I am aware of included internal cooling and venting adjustments that made it a little better, but represent no great change in the user experience. The only bug that has bothered me is the fact that the keys contact the screen when the machine is closed, and they tend to leave marks. As far as I know, that was never fixed, so it isn't like waiting for Rev B would have helped. I also bought a Rev A PPC 7100 a few centuries back, and never noticed any bugs. Obviously, any new model will be different, but I have been given no reason to fear Rev A machines.

4. vanillamike macrumors regular

I just ordered a 30GB iPod and it was rev A, I know rev B is out there but I doubt it will make a differnce. I am glad I read this thread though.

Mike

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To answer you question, sometimes the first products that come from Apple (or any manufacturer for that matter) in a new line have certain problems or quirks that aren't discovered until after the product is released. This is (hopefully) fixed in the next release. But if you have a good enough first release (and AppleCare just in case), you should be fine.

If you are waiting for perfection, though, you're gonna have to wait a long time.

6. Sratner macrumors newbie

The biggest complaint from me about the revision A Titanium was the goof apple made by not offering a cd burner in it... then when they realized the error of their ways the fix was only available to the rev. B... im still bummed about that its the only nock against this great machine...

my 2 cents...

7. zuggerat macrumors regular

i think apple has learned its lessons with revisions and they wouldnt release a crap notebook with no stability...it would ruin their reputations and especially at such an important point...year of the powerbook and then they release a piece of junk, they're not gonna screw up

8. vwcruisn macrumors regular

haha i think its funny that everyones been waiting and waiting for the 970s to come out.. and we still don't even know if theyre coming out for sure (well... they BETTER), and people are already questioning waiting for rev. b... i just think thats funny. I plan on getting a 970 17" powerbook the DAY its released... just get applecare.. if there are any problems.. you will be covered for 3 years.. thats longer than i ever keep a computer anyway...

edit: spelling... :rolleyes: