1. Muzukun macrumors regular

I have a question, odds are I'll be getting a powerbook sometime in late feb and with all the rumors of a powerbook G5 or a speed bumped G4 have made me wonder something...

Alot of users say they rather have a Rev D (or E, I forgot) G4 as opposed to a Rev A G5 powerbook. So I'm wondering, just how bad are Apple's Rev A? Are the errors so extreme that they could potentially keep you from really enjoying your product? Are they just aesthetic errors? Will you burn your legs off should you use it as a laptop? :) Or are the complaints of the Rev A powerbooks/ibooks/etc. just really nit picky? Thanks!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Depends on who you ask. I'm not denying that some people have problems with revision A hardware, but people also have problems with rev b, c, d, etc... No electronics are created flawlessly, unfortunately. Generally speaking, when Apple announces a new Rev A model, that's going to be the best product value (performance vs cost) that the product line will ever have... Personally, I buy every rev A i can get my hands on.

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

If the clamour on here is anything to go by, and the demand for minis and shuffles is an indication, you'll be on Rev B by the time it's shipped to you :D

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Too true. If a new product line is announced, even if you order it in the first 5 minutes, do NOT expect it to be delivered on time. Apple is generally far better with consumer products than pro products... The more expensive your product is, the less chance you'll get it on time.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, I wouldn't call the rev. A flaws usability-destroyers, but they vary from machine to machine. The rev. A PowerMac G5's had powersupply issues (if I remember correctly), and that was remedied farily easily. The rev. A 12" PowerBooks have those heating issues and the feet falling off. The rev. A PowerBook G4 Titanium has those peeling paint and cracking LCD hinges. The iMac G5's have the infamous noise issue. As you can see, they vary widely between the rev. A's.

I have a personal rule to never buy a rev. A Apple computer.

(Rules are made to be broken however... I'm gambling on Apple getting the Mac mini's right the first time... wish me luck!)

6. dcollierp macrumors member

It all depends. Ask those with a rev "C" iBook that have had logic board problems.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I have had several "rev A" items from Apple and *never* had any problem. I think this "don't buy rev A" stuff is another one of those issues that gets blown out of proportion.....oh yeah!

8. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

kind of on the same topic. What constitutes a rev. change? and when does it go back to rev. A? I hear a lot of people say rev. A this, rev. B that. not really sure which model they are talking about.

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I wouldn't be put off by a rev A. The people with complaints always speak louder than the ones with perfect machines (which is most), and that is true in anything. There is just as much chance of a rev D or E producing a glitchy machine. Sometimes, there is a potential design flaw, but these are rare and would be sorted out if they caused harm or trouble. Your machine would always be covered by warranty anyway.

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I don't know... I guess it depends on wether you "need" a new machine instantly "to get things done" or if you can hold out and wait for a rev. B without sacrificing too much productivity...

vSpacken

11. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

and really, if the problem is a defective machine of some sort and it comes that way off the line, doesn't apple usually do some type of repair program? i know they did that with my powerbook and the display issue.

unless thats not what you are concerned about.

12. jbrjake macrumors member

I've had several "Rev A" items from Apple and *always* had a problem.

• If you'd gotten the Rev A TiBook instead of waiting for 867mhz, you'd be singing a different tune. Cracked hinges, cheap paint, flimsy plastic lining the dvd drive that breaks, making the drive useless, when hit with the slightest bit of pressure.

• Ever run across a Rev A Blue&White G3? Jesus is that thing a disaster. Even adding a second hard drive is a Major Project. Plus, the Firewire controller is buggy as all hell.

• What about the Rev A Beige G3? Slave drive, anyone?

• The fans on the Rev A G5 tower had a buggy controller and the power supply was screwy.

• Rev A AlBooks and their White Spots.

• The original iMac was only on the market for a few months before Apple rushed out the Rev B with more VRAM and (drum roll) "several hardware bug-fixes."

• One number: 5300.

This is by no means a complete list. Journalists feel comfortable calling something a trend when it happens thrice. How many examples do you need?

13. vtprinz macrumors 6502

<------------------------ :mad:

14. Muzukun thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice :) ... now all I have to do is wait to see what the heck really is coming for feb... if it's anything at all >.<