Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I'm contemplating one of two things:

Selling my 2.6 MBP and buying a 1.86/128 MBA

or

Keeping my MBP and ponying up for a first gen Air

I only want the air because my MBP is so cumbersome in both size and weight. I love it, and I'm a tiny but afraid of losing so much power... but the RevB Airs are supposedly greatly improved. I have a mac desktop for my somewhat heavy lifting (conversion, etc). I don't like the idea of having two laptops though, keeping them synced is a pain in the butt.

Financially they're about on-par with each other so....

opinions?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The second MacBook Air is a real, powerful computer. It has the same powerful 45nm Penryn Intel Core 2 Duo processor as the new MB and MBP. Although slightly slower, still mighty powerful and far less power consuming than the first MBA. MBA 2.0 has an Nvidia graphics card with darn near same power as the one they put in the new MBP (granted it's the integrated one). It has a Mini Display Port capable of driving a 30" HD Display. It already has a bigger trackpad but not quite as cool as the glass button trackpad. It has the faster 1067 MHz Memory.

I had an original Air and loved it, but it was a second computer I only used for surfing the web and writing. The new MBA is capable of all of the duties you would need unless you want gaming or intensive graphics requiring a dedicated graphics card. So while the original MBA was a NetBook, the new MBA is the real deal!

I bought the new MB with the new MBA in my sights as my potential main computer. I sold my original MBA before the new lineups were announced in October. I also sold my MBP. Now, I am running a one computer environment for the first time in many years. And, the MB is quite capable of everything I need it to do. When I bought it, I decided it would just be for a few months that I would see if I can get used to the screen size full-time. I also bought an external display.

But, the whole time my goal has been a new MBA. I am going to use my new MB as my backup Mac and my Windows computer. I need to run Windows one day per month for a client. I am going to wait for January to see if just maybe the future is already being changed for the MBA before I buy.

I think we could soon see an even better MBA. What could make it better?

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (up from 1.86 GHz)
4 GB Memory
Glass Display
Glass Trackpad
maybe even a 256 GB SSD

I am not going to hold my breath, but since the MBP 17" was just revised with a few things, and we expect to see a new 17" Unibody MBP, I want to make sure they do not update the MBA again with the features I really want.

That being said, I think the MBA 2.0 is an amazing portable computer. I think you should go the MBA 2.0 and get rid of the MBP if you can do without gaming. The MBA will NOT have the overheating problems that the first MBA had. And, the first MBA would NOT be capable of being your only computer. But if you go with the MBA 2.0, I think you will be very surprised and pleased. Especially if you can put one of the new Apple Cinema Displays on your desk and drive the bigger monitor when at home. But, when needing portability, the new MBA has the others ALL beat. More than a NetBook by a LONNGGG shot. Whereas the first MBA was mostly a NetBook.

I know I am probably dreaming about more MBA updates, but I will wait til January just to make sure. Then I will definitely get my new MBA.

Please remember that the original MBA has overheating problems when watching videos. The thing will overheat doing things like video playback and intense graphics that uses the CPU.... The new MBA does NOT have any overheating problems.

Good luck with whichever MBA you buy.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
To be honest, I think with the new macbooks, the gap between macbook and macbook air has decreased dramatically.

Macbook is only slightly heavier and thicker, but not by much. And it's a much more powerful machine.

I'd get the backlit macbook over the new air.

But if absolute thinness and lightness is worth it, then the Air is obviously the lightest and thinness macbook

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
The difference between the Air and the MB is more than the difference between the MB and MBP, and I'm not sure that I'm fond of the lower-quality MB screen. I've steered away from the MB, so the choices are either RevA Air and keep my MBP, or trade my MBP up for a high-end RevB.

Any other opinions?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To be honest, I think with the new macbooks, the gap between macbook and macbook air has decreased dramatically.

Macbook is only slightly heavier and thicker, but not by much. And it's a much more powerful machine.

I'd get the backlit macbook over the new air.

But if absolute thinness and lightness is worth it, then the Air is obviously the lightest and thinness macbook

Agree with this to a large extent.

Cheers and good luck

descartes

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
The difference between the Air and the MB is more than the difference between the MB and MBP, and I'm not sure that I'm fond of the lower-quality MB screen. I've steered away from the MB, so the choices are either RevA Air and keep my MBP, or trade my MBP up for a high-end RevB.

Any other opinions?

have you determined how much you will get for your mbp? you may be surprised how little you can get. also, Rev A airs can be found around 1k. If you dont mind dealing with two computers, seems to me a good choice to keep the mbp and get the rev a mba.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I have a friend that wants to buy it, so I'm pretty sure of the price. I'm just wondering if I'm going to regret the air and have no backup per se, or if I'll just end up using the RevA air and neglecting my MBP....

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
MBA 2.0 is awesome. Nearly as powerful as the MB. Awesome and super PORTABLE. If that is what you want get the MBA 2.0. DO NOT BUY THE MBA 1.0. You will NOT be happy. The MBA 2.0 is a real MacBook and the first one is a NetBook.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
given that you have a desktop for "heavy lifting," I'd say definitely go for the new air. Having 3 macs to keep in sync (or failing that, keep track of) would drive me nuts. And really, if you have a decent desktop, the new mba is going to be more than enough power for on-the-go use.

descartes

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
given that you have a desktop for "heavy lifting," I'd say definitely go for the new air. Having 3 macs to keep in sync (or failing that, keep track of) would drive me nuts. And really, if you have a decent desktop, the new mba is going to be more than enough power for on-the-go use.

didnt catch you had a desktop. definitely get the new mba then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.