REV B iMac for mild gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Devie, May 15, 2005.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

I was supprised that I hadnt seen this topic posted yet.
    Since the new iMac comes with a 9600 128MB card now, I was curiouse to how well it runs games such as WoW, UT2k4, and to a lesser degree; Doom III.

So anyone with the REV B, how she go for some mild gaming every now and then? (I dont want to hear the crap about Mac's arent used for gaming blah blah blah)

2. 36183 Guest

UT2004 and WoW will run fine. Doom3 will be more of a slideshow. i havent tested these games on a imac rev.b but i am quiet sure that the performance of WoW and UT2004 will be fine the machine.

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Doom 3 should run much better on the rev B. It runs ok on my Rev a. And my setting weren't too shabby i could play it at medium quality fine. It would be nice if someone could maybe post some benchmarks... :rolleyes:

4. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Almost all games except Doom3 will run fine, though you may need to lower the resolution to 1024x768 in games such as UT2004 and Halo to get very smooth framerates. Doom3will playable, provided you have at least 512mb ram (go for 1gb), at 800x600 medium no shadows, and very playable at 640x480 medium no shadows. Try playing it in a window so as to preserve the sharpness lost on LCDs playing in non-native resolutions.

Nice-looking games that should run great on the new imac, based on my experience with a wide variety of macs and video cards, include MOH:Spearhead, Wolfenstein:ET, Homeworld 2, and any of the non-FPS games.