Rev B Intel iMac - What do we expect?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aswitcher, Apr 28, 2006.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think the second rev of the intel iMac will be my next Mac but I wanted to get an idea of what its likely to have by way of upgrades over the Jan 06 release.

1) Out about August 06?
    2) New higher res screens like the Mac Book Pros?
    3) Conroe Intel chip - 4MB cache and higher speeds?
    4) 256MB graphics card for 17" as option.
    5) 802.11N for Airport?
    6) Out in black
    7) Optical audio in
    8) Full DVI port &/or HDMI out, with HDCP
    9) HDDVD or Bluray drive option
    10) Upscaling DVD burner/player?
    11) Digital TV tuner
    12) iPod like controls on chin of iMac to control sound
    13) 512MB ram on logic board - and 2 ram slots
    14) Better speakers - surround sound fake like many LCD TVs have now
    15) OLED screen on chin to dispaly information like widgets

What do people think?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Paris Expo should be the release i would say , faster Airport "N" should be a go

maybe a speed bump and GPU options maybe 20" model and a 23" model (dropping the 17")

a better version of Front Row

3. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah I guess Paris would be a good choice.

23" mmm I guess if they go the doenloadable TV thingy that would possible but I figure its going to be quite expensive and now we have screen spanning to LCD TVs its not as importany.

I expect FR update with iLife 07 as a key selling point to all of those who bought intel Macs this year.

4. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Apple, Please stop adding all crappy features and reduce the price by $200. Thank you!

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Sounds like a sweet machine - most of those ideas are believable certainly.

Not sure about the controls / screen on chin though. Wouldn't they damage the clean lines of the iMac?

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

My guesses:

1) Out about August 06?
    SEPTEMBER

2) New higher res screens like the Mac Book Pros?
    No, the screen resolutions are somewhat a "standard".

3) Conroe Intel chip - 4MB cache and higher speeds?
    I hope so, since it should be pin compatible

4) 256MB graphics card for 17" as option.
    256MB will be standard

5) 802.11N for Airport?
    don't know, don't need it.

6) Out in black
    uh..please not!!!!

7) Optical audio in
    don't know' don't need

8) Full DVI port &/or HDMI out, with HDCP
    don't think so. too much of a change.

9) HDDVD or Bluray drive option
    too early

10) Upscaling DVD burner/player?
    don't know' don't need

11) Digital TV tuner
    don't think so. they could have done it long ago. seems they think it's to early. what tuner, HD, Pal, NTSC??

12) iPod like controls on chin of iMac to control sound
    too much of a change for a simple revision.

13) 512MB ram on logic board - and 2 ram slots
    don't care

14) Better speakers - surround sound fake like many LCD TVs have now
    don't care

15) OLED screen on chin to dispaly information like widgets
    too much of a change for a simple revision. don't want and need it anyway.

that's my take on it. but i was also totally wrong when the isight came in.......

7. SamJ macrumors member

I think a revision of the imac's form factor would be very exciting in the next year or so.

Its really the only mac that I cant imagine how Apple could change. Maybe take away the controversial chin but what else?

Ive always thought that apple could use the big logo on the macs as a means of some type of status indicator. For powerbooks, where the apple logo lights up you coud have it so that the level of light from top to bottom could act as a gauge to indicate battery life.

8. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

What chin ?????? and a PVR type Imac would be good for users who don't live in the US of A and don't have access to the itunes TV section - C'mon Apple give the rest of the world a chance or option.

9. Queso macrumors G4

No way should they drop the 17". The 20" was too big for the space my iMac goes in. I wouldn't have bought an iMac if the 17" hadn't been available.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

There's easily room for a third all-in-one, so 17", 20" and 23" should be fine, no need to drop the 17".

Jumping from Yonah to Conroe would be a very welcome move and chucking in a slightly more powerful card like the X1600 Pro or XT would be great. Wouldn't mind a slight price drop either ;)

11. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Out In Black

How bout out in Aluminum, and drop the chin? Then I would buy one for sure.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I really liked #12, adding iPod style controls for iTunes. It bugs me that to this day Apple still doesn't have direct-action keys for iTunes on its keyboards. I have to switch from whatever app I'm in to iTunes and back every time I want to skip a song. PC's have had this since forever. Like 1973 or something. I could get a 3rd-party keyboard, but then my mac wouldn't be a complete "set", it wouldn't be nearly as good-looking. And yes, that's important to me, aesthetically and "OCD"-wise.

13. topher macrumors member

My guess is that we won't see anything until Paris...and that we may not even see anything then. This machine is very nicely stacked against its competition, and they won't want to raise the bar for what a low end PowerMac (MacPro) should include at the same time that they are releasing it. I wouldn't be surprise if we see very marginal updates in early summer, or late fall...but I doubt we'll see much to write home about.

However, I like the idea of using the "chin" space for widgets...etc. This is something that Vista is supposed to be including, and it's the only Vista feature that beats Apple in the 'wow' dept.

Specifically, Vista includes support for a second screen with a specific widget setup. The idea is that notebooks could have a screen on the outside that that would display widget type info (battery life, 5 most recent emails, maybe an RSS feed) without ever opening the machine.

I think it would be pretty rad if Apple could use OLED to create a running news ticker across the chin of the iMac based on RSS feeds that you subscribe to...or display the subjects of your recently received emails...

Anyway, while going off topic I'd like to give props to the original poster for a sweet implementation emerging technology.

14. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Streaming video decent distances and resolution will need something like N. I figure N will definetly come next year to Apple when the standard is ratified but sorta hope they do what they did last time and go ahead before the standard is finalised.

15. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Even with updates the 20" should drop in price, and likely the 17". Always the way from rev a to rev b.

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

We......I expect that I'll be buying one when RevB is released :)

17. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I could see Conroe and the 802.11N but I'm not too sure about the Blueray option as of yet.... maybe but it will be a pretty penny for the upgrade. Just my 2 cents

18. eto macrumors member

20,000 leagues under the sea and or Duluth
    I'm leaning towards rev. B in August, with Conroe out in July why wait until Paris (Sep 12-16)? Also, isn't iMac a good "Back to School" seller? Students need to gear up before school starts.

19. tonyl macrumors 6502