Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
Sorry if this has already been posted, but if not, here's one for your memory bank.

Today I took the plunge and overclocked a friends Rev.B 1.25Ghz Mac Mini (with his permission of course :p). Following the guides on the internet I must say that as it uses the same CPU and logic board, it is safe to overclock to 1.42Ghz. I didn't try any other modes, and for a couple of hours the system was stable importing video into Final Cut Express. It still is working.

So, if anyone wants to overclock one of these beauties and is worrying about the new Mac revisions, don't panic because its all the same as the other Rev.A guides :)

That's something else to put on my CV to Apple I suppose.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Would you even call the mac mini a Rev B? :p

Congrats on overclocking thats something I would be afraid to do/ dont know how to do.

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
mad jew said:
Nice stuff maxpayne.co.uk. So is the regular 1.42GHz mini actually just an overclocked 1.25GHz one then?
Yup. The Mac Mini felt relatively cold, so there isn't any heat issues or anything like that.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
mad jew said:
Nice stuff maxpayne.co.uk. So is the regular 1.42GHz mini actually just an overclocked 1.25GHz one then?

Well technically any G4 under 1.7GHz (the max i think) is just an underclocked 1.7GHz. For some reason it wouldn't run at 1.7GHz, failed qualification but ran fine at a lower speed. Or else it ran fine at 1.7GHz but they needed more 1.25GHz processors. Intel, AMD and IBM all do speed binning of chips but they are all the SAME chips and sometimes they need to sell more 1.25GHz chips so they re-brand good 1.7GHz parts as 1.25GHz (well more than likely 1.5GHz parts as 1.25GHz). (Thats why most P4 2.4GHz could run easily at 3.2GHz or why the Celeron 300A could run at 450MHz).

It would cost a LOT of money to have different processors designed for different speeds so they just make one and pick the best as the fastest processors and the slower ones as slower processors.

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
TBi said:
Well technically any G4 under 1.7GHz (the max i think) is just an underclocked 1.7GHz. For some reason it wouldn't run at 1.7GHz, failed qualification but ran fine at a lower speed. Or else it ran fine at 1.7GHz but they needed more 1.25GHz processors. Intel, AMD and IBM all do speed binning of chips but they are all the SAME chips and sometimes they need to sell more 1.25GHz chips so they re-brand good 1.7GHz parts as 1.25GHz (well more than likely 1.5GHz parts as 1.25GHz). (Thats why most P4 2.4GHz could run easily at 3.2GHz or why the Celeron 300A could run at 450MHz).

It would cost a LOT of money to have different processors designed for different speeds so they just make one and pick the best as the fastest processors and the slower ones as slower processors.
I swore the 300A could top 1Ghz or something like that. It was pretty insane. The good ol' days :p

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
600MHz was the max the process could go to on air so you could only really go higher with LN2 cooling but i don't think it would go much past 650.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
maxpayne.co.uk said:
I swore the 300A could top 1Ghz or something like that. It was pretty insane. The good ol' days :p
The 300A had a 4.5 multiplier and a 66MHz clock for 300MHz. By changing the clock to 100MHz, you got a 450MHz. To get to 1GHz, you would have had to set the clock to well over 200MHz (they had locked multipliers) which was unheard of until a few of years ago. Still, an easy 50% overclock is very impressive. The 333MHz Celeron -> 500MHz was also impressive.

The overclocked 300A was faster than the Pentium of the same rating even though it had only half the L2 cache because the L2 ran at full clock speed. I remember "upgrading" my PII 400MHz for a 300MHz Celeron. I got quite a few odd glances from my dorm mates but they soon saw the light.

I did see where someone had achieved a 100% overclock of the Pentium M 730 to 3.2GHz on dry ice. Now that is an accomplishment.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
topgunn said:
The 333MHz Celeron -> 500MHz was also impressive.

I had an ABIT BP6 running dual 366's at 550MHz. That was one sweet machine. I upgraded to a single 800MHz P3 but if felt a lot more like a downgrade than an upgrade especially when it came to multitasking... except in games of course

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.