Rev. B vs. Rev. A 12" PB - Advantages?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gsnixon, Dec 30, 2003.

1. gsnixon macrumors newbie

Hi everybody -

I'm in the market for a 12" powerbook w/ superdrive. Smalldog has a great deal on a refurb Rev. A 867 model, but I've always been a bit wary of Apple rev. A's. And while I'd certainly like to save the money, I'm willing to spend more for a better quality machine. I could care less about the 133 MHz difference, but is there anything else that would make me think twice about buying this one? I've heard about the heat/warping problem, but I've also heard that Panther fixed this. Since I would be getting it basically new, I wouldn't get the warping, right? Does the 1GHz get hotter than the 867, or vice versa? Also I've heard the Rev. B screen is better. Is this true? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Whay would you do? Thank you!

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I haven't had much experience of the rev A but I have the rev B superdrive version and I am very pleased with it.

Improvements over rev A:
    - 1GHz processor (133MHz increase)
    - 512k L2 cache(instead of 256k)
    - Better graphics card - Nvidia GForce 5200 Go (instead of 420 Go - both 32MB vRAM)
    - USB 2.0 ports (instead of slow USB 1.1)
    - Mini-DVI port (instead of analogue mini-VGA)
    - Higher max RAM - 256MB soldered on (instead of 128 soldered and 128 in slot)
    - No heat problems (although I think this was a myth with the other version, except in some isolated cases)
    - Panther included (probably not in older version)
    - 2x Superdrive (biggie) (instead of older 1x speed)

Not sure about the older screen, but I have no brightness problems with my screen. Note that the rev B contains the newer G4 processor also.

I'm very pleased with my rev B PowerBook and it works perfectly well with Final Cut Express, espcially now I have given it 768MB RAM. If I were you I'd go with the newer one, or at least try for a refurb rev B. There is supposed to be a big performance difference between the two - in fact the old rev A is now the 12" iBook G4 :p

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with all of those advantages. I think the rev. B is a big improvement.

Actually, if I were you, I'd go 12" G4 ibook over rev. A powerbook. The PB has 67 more mhz, but the ibook has the better graphics card (by far), usb 2, and no heat problems.

4. gsnixon thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm..... didn't realize all that.... thanks a lot guys!

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    doubling the L2 cache really helped performance a lot, so although the "133MHz" difference isn't that much, the extra cache makes things much speedier. I have the rev.B and a friend of mine has the rev.A and his is quite noticably slower than mine. go for the rev.B is what i have to say.

"Grandma was slow, but she was old!"