Rev D 12' PB with 23' ADC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shadie, Jun 20, 2005.

1. shadie macrumors member

Jul 27, 2004
    Hi all,

Just about to get either the 15" loaded PB or the 12" PB with a 23" Display.

My questions,

1. Under normal load will the 12" fan be constantly on while connected to the external display, I see some threads with this topic but I'm still unsure whether it is to do with the USB/Firewire hub connections, OS revision or whether the Rev D 12" PB is "fixed".

2. Are the 23" display problems solved yet, some threads say yes others say no.

Would you recommend saving a bit more cash and get the 15" with the 23" display.

My poor Lombard, Pismo,Ti Book and G3 iBook just cannot hack it anymore, seems like I upgrade every three years which is fine.

I need the large display as I'm sick of 1024x768, I've been 5 years at this resolution.

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004

A 12' PB. Wow!
  3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    :D Priceless!! That's portable!! :p
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    For my personal experience, the fans really starting coming on a lot (and a lot means pretty much all the time) around 10.3.6 or 10.3.7. Before that my computer was whisper quiet except when i was really pushing it, but it soon went back down to normal when done. I've heard this is because they changed the starting temperature for when the fans come on lower, but i have no real proof of that. I do find now that when I connect any USB 2.0 device, the fans turn on instantly and stay on until I unplug it. I'm not sure if it's because they draw more power but I have also tried connecting a self powered USB 2.0 hub in and it still happens.

If I was to buy a new laptop now, I would get the 15" with extra video ram. My girlfriend just bought a 15" 1.67 with 128VRam and it is amazing. What's even more amazing is the fact that her fans never come on even when she had it connected to an external display along with the regular one.

My suggestion?? Go with a 15", 1.67GHz with extra VRam, and get the 20" Apple display. The 20" is the best deal at almost have the price of a 23".
  5. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Just to add to the facts my Powerbook 15" 1.33Ghz running Tiger only gets it fans on when I'm doing something really intensive such as encoding video but it never ever comes on when driving any form of external display whether it be a TV, CRT, LCD or projector.
  6. javiercr macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2005
    depends on the portability you need for the laptop itself, may be you should get the 17'' PB, that would give you a decent size screen and keep some portability, or but an iBook 12'', an mac mini(for more or less the same of the PB 15) and the 23'', you'll have portability in the 12' ibook and a computer (mac mini) that you can just keep plugged into the 23'' display.
  7. shadie thread starter macrumors member

Jul 27, 2004

Sounds good to me. I only fork out big money every three or four years, considering the last three Powerbooks I purchased cost over US$4K, I would still be interested in the 23" display, that is if it has no issues as posted elsewhere.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Read the threads in the Apple Support forums. There are still numerous complaints about 23" display problems. Apparently Apple has not acknowledged the problem.
  9. shadie thread starter macrumors member

Jul 27, 2004
    Well, got a maxed out 15" this morning with 2G ram and the larger drive. Love it so far, airport range is great, so quiet, have not heard any fan noise, no dead pixels, great screen. Scrolling trackpad is neat.

Imported everything with the migration assistant, battery still going strong with Airport and BT, close to 3.5 hours so far.

Hope this one last just as long as my last few powerbooks.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

:) :)