Rev. D Powerbook and VLC DVD Playback/Extraction

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .:*Robot Boy*:., Mar 19, 2005.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'm trying to backup a few of my DVD's using MacTheRipper/DVD Backup and Roxio Popcorn (I have an insane sister who loves destroying my stuff). The problem I have is that MacTheRipper finishes the extraction and tells me that there were some 'Bad Sectors'. When I go in the Video_TS folder the Title.vob file has been extracted (which, ironically, seems to be that FBI anti-piracy warning that you've gotta sit through whenever you watch a DVD), but the actual movie files haven't. They exist, but they're listed as being zero kb's.

I read somewhere that you've got to play the DVD normally for a few seconds with DVD Player or VLC before extraction or those main .vob files won't be extracted. The problem I have is that I don't wanna change my DVD's region code just so I can do it the easy way in DVD Player. I am, therefore, using VLC (0.8.2) to play the DVD that I'm trying to copy but VLC won't play it. I've tried both the Open Disc... and Open File... methods.

It seems to me that VLC is working fine for everyone else on the internet, am I missing something? I'm using a Rev. D 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook, could this be the problem?

Any help would be great.

Tim.

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi again,
    I just managed to extract a multizone DVD successfully after playing it in DVD Player, so I know there's nothing wrong with MacTheRipper. Why won't VLC let me play DVD's?

Tim.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Loophole Closed?

I also have a Rev D powerbook and I wanted to rip a region 2 DVD without changing the region of my superdrive from region 1.

The same thing happened to me in MacTheRipper, Bad Sectors, and I couldn't play it in VLC either.

I think, and I have absolutely no proof of this, that it the latest Apple Models, including the Rev D Powerbook, they have closed the loophole that allowed you to use VLC and MacTheRipper on DVD's that were different to the region setting of the superdrive.

Can anyone confirm this?