Rev specs leaked?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    probably best to take with a lorry load of salt but here goes (from Han Solo again)

PPU? so is that its physics engine? that'd be smart. means all the CPU has to do is AI and the game engine, and other little things.
    does sorta go hand in hand with what Nintendo said about it being a very fast yet easily programmable machine.

i dont know what to believe myself. but hey
  2. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    Sounds reasonable. After all, it is a next-gen console, it must compete with the other 2 offerings from Sony and MS. Although it will require some good engineering to fit all those components in that tiny package…
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    So let me get this straight.

We're talking about 768 MB of RAM (more than either the XBox 360 or PS3), a PPU, a very powerful processor, a resolution HIGHER THAN DVI CAN OUTPUT and far higher than either the PS3 or XBox 360 are capable of (Nintendo who was originally planning not to output HD at all), and a PPU- in a box that is smaller and costs less than either system?

Two other reasons make me scream fake;

Han Solo was of course proven a liar at TGS.

The other is; I've heard this exact rumor before, only with more detail.

This one proclaimed that the processor performance was above the XBox 360 (see the dot product bit), polygon performance was equal to the 360, shader performance was better than the XBox 360, sound card is better than the 360, the GPU is faster than the 360, AND it has a PPU.

Sounds almost exactly the same as Han Solo's.

I can't trust anything the guy says. :rolleyes:
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    As much as I would like it to be true, doesn't sound likely. Not from the "its the games, not hardware" standpoint nintendo is taking.
  5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm calling this a fake as well. That's just way too powerful for a box that's "the size of 3 DVD's stacked together."

Plus the inclusion of a PPU will only make things more complicated from a developers viewpoint. Although, I'm beginning to think that the truly "next-gen" Revolution games won't be any easier to create than PS3/360 games. I think Nintendo is encouraging developers to create more 2-D 8/16-bit games, as they obviously appeal more women and older people. This would still allow them to make the claim that Revolution is the "cheapest system to develop for."

I predict that the stats will be listed on the retail package as follows:
    Custom processors from IBM and ATI, Hollywood and Broadway, bring vivid entertainment experiences to the home like never before. Fed by a custom optical drive and interactive game remote, the Nintendo Revolution truly puts you inside the game.

Basically, I don't think they will make a big deal out of the stats, because only us geeks really care about memory latency and pixel shaders.
  6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I could see a dual core 970MP, but the rest is BS probably. I expect the Revolution to be a fairly conservative piece of hardware, with emphasis on software development.
  7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    on a side note im a little saddened that Factor5 are making games for machines other than Nintendo. i was brought up on their earlier games (Turrican, R-Type conversion) and Rogue Leader was the first Cube game i bought.

although that said they're only making 1 game for the PS3.

as for the specs. yea. i think they're a little fake. but who knows? Nintendo are quite extreme with their thinking. either way round, Nintendo have said that its easier to program for the Rev than the Cube. and the Cube is apparently the easiest to code for out of the current gen systems. so i think its going to be nothing more than a beefed up CPU speed from what they currently have, but with new things of course. which will remain of the upmost secrecy.

part of me thinks this is going to be like Apple, and how they keep shtum about the iPod. IIRC we dont know everything about it, like the signal to noise ratio (i think?).
  8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    The Physics Engine chip is old (it was in Cube about 6 months ago)
  9. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    seems a little bit to high to be true.. but i wouldn't go far below that... the gamecube case isn't that big after all and offers a lot of performance

personally i think it will be closer to the competition than we perhaps think now