RevA 12" and the new displays

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shavs, Jun 30, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    As far as I'm aware my RevA 12" PB (867Mhz) has a Mini-VGA out, is there any way I can hook one of these up to the new apple displays? I'm ready to shell out for a nice new 20" but it's not much use if I can't plug it in. Is there some kind of adaptor or other method of getting this to work? Are the quality issues serious?

I'd buy a new laptop but I'm waiting for a G5 PB :D
  2. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    my understanding is that the rev. A 12" powerbooks do NOT work with the cinema displays - there's no way to get the VGA signal to convert to a DVI signal to work with them. the rev. B and C models have mini-DVI out, so they work with the cinema displays.

i'm in the same boat. i'd love to get a cinema display, but will need to wait until i upgrade my powerbook, which won't be a for a few years yet... :(

3. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    So no Cinema displays will work with a rev. A Powerbook? Not even the older 20'' inchers? Man this is a huge bummer. I was all set to pick one up. I checked out, looks like there is no such thing as a VGA-ADC adapter. This bites. guess ill have to look at a Non- Apple display :eek:
  4. macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    There are a couple of companies that make VGA-ADC adapters but they tend to cost around $300.
  5. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    the VGA to DVI conversion box

It shows $299, but I saw a few brand new / sort of used ones on eBay in the past few months for $199 / Buy it Now.

That answers the second question about whether the first 12" PowerBook could work with the ADC ACDs.

The original question was whether the 867MHz PB can work with the just-announced DVI ACDs.

the VGA to DVI adapter

That answers the first question.

Buy it directly from or search for "gefen" on eBay.

Have a great day!

edit: OK, it's not worth it to buy that VGA to DVI adapter at $799. The best thing to do if you really want to run a new DVI ACD is sell your PB and buy one that has DVI output.