"Revelations"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can tell you now, I've got a feeling...this is going to be the next Show To Watch.

The hour presented tonight was extremely stylish and well-produced. Good writing, cinematography, music...just good all around. (It was written by David Seltzer, the same guy who wrote "The Omen", so he's certainly on familiar ground.)

One might quibble that the Sister Josepha-Dr. Massey relationship smacks of a reverse Mulder-Scully, but it seems to work. And there were several "holy crap!" moments during the show:

SPOILER WARNING

the finding of the baby in the ocean, the girl being hit by lightning, her speaking in Latin, her revival, the image of the crucifix appearing on the mountainside...

END OF SPOILER WARNING

If there was any one little thing that struck me as out of place, it was John Rhys-Davies as the university professor. I half-expected his name to be Arturo. ;)

But overall, a very impressive beginning, and potentially a very interesting show.

2. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I missed it. Crap. I was working on some stuff for class, and I missed it. I wanted to see it. Is it gonna air again?

Like how you did that Spoiler Warning. Nice.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I NEVER remember to watch TV shows anymore. Meh, I'll just wait for the eventual DVD sets :)

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Meh, it was ok... I'll have to see how it shapes up. It sort of reminded me a little bit of the short-lived ABC show Miracles. That was a very good show, I'm sad that ABC decided to play musical time-slots with it... never had a chance.

Revelations may turn out to be a good mini-series, but the first episode got to be too hard to follow at times though.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It does appear to be a well produced show. I intended to watch the special on the Da Vinci Code, but my local NBC affiliate decided to air a Billy Graham evangelical "conference" instead of the Da Vinci Code special.

Welcome to the South. :)

6. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

What is this Da Vinci Code special you speak of?

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It was a special that came on right before Revelations. NBC was advertising both programs together. My NBC affiliate did not show it. They did show Revelations though.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It was a one hour Dateline NBC special on the "Secrets of the Da Vinci Code"... no doubt intended to mesh with the religious background behind "Revelations".

Just finished watching that, BTW... it was pretty good. We'll have to see where it goes from here (I think it's only running for 6 weeks).

9. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I should just give up watching TV. I always miss the interesting things, and there's only crap on when I actually do have time to watch. Especially Discovery. Man. I remember when there was always something cool to watch on the Discovery Channel. Now all they show is Monster Garage and those ****** motorcycle shows. Nation Geographic Channel has been my only saving grace as of late. Taboo is a great series.

Maybe I should just read all the time. By the way, Blink is a great book. You should all go out and read it.

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Ahh but the Discovery Channel still has Mythbusters! :)

11. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yes. Mythbusters is great stuff. I love it. It Takes a Theif is slowly growing on me as well. I also caught some crab fishing show the other day that was good stuff. Every now and then there is something good.

TLC has gone downhill as well. It's all decorating and fashion shows these days.

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah, replacing Junkyard Wars with Trading Spaces, Trading Spaces Family, What Not To Wear, etc etc etc was very sad. :(

I remember when MTV did music videos too... hell, I remember when VH1 did music videos!

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thanks. I learned that trick on another forum. It's a great way to have your cake and eat it too. ;)

Far as I know, they're not gonna rerun the first show, though.

All I know is, it's a six-part miniseries, although they've left the door open to developing it as a regular series. The current story arc will be wrapped up within the miniseries, but the "investigating the possible apocalypse" theme would be continued into the regular series, if it happens.

14. jasylonian macrumors regular

but if they find that the end times are here... what's left to investigate?

and if they find that the end times aren't here, then what's the point of this show?

:confused: :( :mad:

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I dunno...but wasn't Millenium somewhat concerned with the same thing? And didn't that show last something like three years?

But you have a point. I don't know if you can make a long-running series out of people running around going, "The sky is falling!"

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

If you guys like stuff dealing with the apocolypse you should read the book "Millinneum Rising" (now titled "Judgement Day" I believe) by Jane Jensen (creator of the Gabriel Knight video games) ... that book was probably one of the most entertaining books I've read. Good stuff! Anyway, the show could end up being like that.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

To Guitarius, who asked if Revelations is going to be on again:

I came across this totally by accident, but it sounds like the same show.

I saw they also aired it on CNBC the other night, but I caught it too late to post here.

18. newton213 macrumors member

The first part of this six part mini-series is re-airing on USA at midnight Friday (Saturday morning the 16th), 11pm on the Sci-Fi channel on Sunday the 17th, and my local NBC affiliate has it re-airing a couple times before the next episode Wednesday, so check your local listings, as they say. Pretty sweet show. And you guys gotta keep in mind, if this is supposed to be about the "end of days," and they find this baby in the middle of the ocean who they lead you to believe is Jesus come back, maybe it's just me, but isn't it gonna take a while for Jesus to grow up? I don't know exactly where they've got planned for this to go, but this series isn't going to end on the sixth part with the world being over. Check out a Bible sometime, Book of Revelations, last chapter in the New Testament. Doesn't take long to read, and I guess you could call it the ultimate of spoilers.