Revenge of the Sith Leaked Online

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hob, May 20, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    No, this isn't an announcement - just another talking point on the continuing BitTorrent saga...

Personally, I think that's a really good way of gettin BitTorrent sites shut down...
  2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Houston, TX
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm by no means a die-hard SW fan, but I'm going to see it tonight. In the cinema. I'd never dilute such a potentially fantastic film by watching it on a computer screen first... even a lovely Apple Cinema display...
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Agreed! I'm going to see it tonight as well. Can't wait :D
  6. qzak macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    yeah, they make this stuff headline news every time a big movie is released. it happens with EVERY movie, why is it such big news. the movie racked up $16.5 Million for just midnight showings on wednesday night, thats crazy! i'm sure the movie will do just fine even with piracy.

personally, i think this is a movie you have to see in the theater. movies like this and LOTR and stuff, ones that are above and beyond the everyday crappy movies being released, deserve the money, and they'll still get it.
  7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Unless you have a nice setup at home (projection system) and decent surround sound it won't ever be the same. Plus the experience of a 50' screen isn't something you can really replicate anyway.

And the movie is quite a visual experience and even though I didn't have the best seats in the theater, it was still great. Sometimes I think that people download these movies just because they can.....

8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    let me think...crap copy to download, all trhose special effects in glorious 'bluey-shakey-cam' or a Digital screening at Leicester Square...too close to call.
    BTW Hob do you know which cinema is screening it digital? I saw Toy Story 2 digital at Odeon Leicester Square, which was mind blowing, so I'm guessing it'll be the same cinema.
  9. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    You can't watch a visually spectacular film like Star Wars III on a pirated download and hope to have the same experience. I see most people downloading this just so they can have it, as well as going to watch it at the cinema. Meh, it was bound to happen.
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    as has been stated before this happens with every movie, and just about all albums too. hey RIAA and the Movie Assosiation, why not try and close these 'leaks' you have in your systems huh?
  11. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm DLing it right now because I never planned to go see it in the theaters...I don't care that much about it, so the lower quality and smaller screen doesn't bother me.
  12. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    No $***? This really got leaked onto the file-sharing networks after it's release? I never would have thunk it...
  13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    The real news will be when a 1080p print makes it to usenet or BT.
  14. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I dont see the point of downloading it, except for the pure "enjoyment" I guess, of being able to do it. While I'll give you the occassional music download, I think the experience of seeing something like this is wasted on something like a crappy computer download. Just my two cents.

And besides, this shouldnt really be "news" anyway. More of a publicity stunt, so the studios have a high visibility example to drill into the publics conscienciousness (SP?), of how bad off they've got it. :rolleyes:
  15. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    No Revenge of the Sith trailers in HD on Apple's Quicktime page really sucks! I look forward to downloading the HD version of RotS on BT and adding it to my collection.
  16. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I heard somewhere that the download time is forty hours, would think that would deter many. Not sure what the time factor is for Internet2 though. I saw a pirated movie about 10 years ago, it was at my brother-in-law, To me the quality is very poor.
  17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002

I'm going to the theater tomorrow, whether I like it or not. My partner saw it at the midnight showings, and he wants to be able to freeze-frame and slow-mo a couple of scenes, so I'm downloading it for him. I have to really doubt the download will deter ANYONE who was previously going to go to the theater for it.

I just hope to god this damn copy works, I can never get good files. Only took like 5 hours of downloading... almost done... HEE
  18. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    I've just seen it, not a film you want to see on a computer display, go and see it in the cinema!
  19. poundsmack macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    for those who admit to downloading it. i would advise against saying u are in a public forum. its just mildly incriminating dont you think ;)
    as for me i am seeing it tonight, and it is gona be awsome! :D
  20. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Just goes to show that you can't believe anything that you hear. 3 or 5 hours isn't bad at all. I can reember doing some download with the old dialup that toook about that long. The frustrating thing was when i got knocked off.

Internet2 is the next version of the Internet. Currently being used by government, industry, and, universities.
  21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    People admitting to downloading pirated copies...

Must run to MPAA Report Piracy Rewards Hotline :p

Darn, doesn't give a reward for internet piracy sites and/or known downloaders. :(

Sort of funny that the MPAA wants to fight piracy, but hasn't updated the rewards process for anything newer than VCR tapes. :rolleyes:

Why report piracy and get involved unless there's some cash at the end of it.

But this definitely should get an entire site shut down and the servers seized.
  22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Because its the right thing to do?
  23. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I payed for Phantom Menace and AOTC (well, ok, my friends treated me to that one... but still), so I should get this one for free. That's the least Lucas can give me to make up for Jar Jar. :p But seriously, from what I've seen of it, it looks like this will be a good one. I've heard the net copy is jumpy and doesn't have all the effects of the release, as pre-release copies often do. I have family that work in the movie business, so I've seen screeners, but no one has the new Star Wars. So I'll probably go see it at the theater, but I don't mind waiting a bit.

The Spiderman sequal was good, as was X2. But Matrix: Reloaded was so bad, I waited to rent Revolutions. Sucked too, BTW. I hope I am not disappointed, but my hopes are not that high.
  24. Link macrumors member

Jan 26, 2005
    All I can say is that anyone who does this doesn't really like the movie anyway. If they did, they wouldn't even consider downloading it.