Revenge of the Sith not Working on OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hessdesigns, Mar 29, 2007.

1. hessdesigns macrumors member

Don't know if this is the correct section, but I was trying to watch Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith on my MacPro, and it won't even mount. Works in my regular DVD player (hooked up to the TV), and it works on my wife's PC laptop. I did notice that when in the PC, it has a program it launches. Is it possible that they made this PC-only???

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I suppose that's possible, but if I recall, I was able to watch Ep3 without any issue on my PowerBook a while back.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The movie plays fine on my Powerbook. The DVD case refers to some enhanced content which may not work on a Mac (there is a start.exe file on the disc).

4. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... Any chance I can "force" the dvd to mount, or at least check if OSX "sees" it?

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You could check in Disk Utility to see if it sees it in there...

6. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try that! What a weird problem...

7. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Ok, tried that... And nothing! It sounds like the drive is trying to read it, but nothing shows up in disk utility, and then it just ejects it. Could this be a problem with the drive, or is it an OSX problem?

8. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to keep writing, but I'm more interested in what's going on with my computer, rather than just trying to watch a movie. So, I put the disc in a G5, and it works just fine. Could my Mac Pro DVD drive have some issues that need to be resolved???

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I suggest turning off launch DVD player when DVD is inserted option in System Preferences. Then maybe try VLC.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

He's saying the drive itself doesn't recognize there's a disk in it - launching/not launching programs wont' solve the problem, I don't think.

hess - it sounds like a bunk drive. I'd be callin' Apple up.

Do any other DVDs not work in the drive or is it just this one?

11. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

This is the first one to do it, but I don't normally watch a lot of movies on my computer, so I don't have a very large sampling, if you will.

12. bericd macrumors member

Parallels?

At the risk of sounding stupid, I had a similar thing happen on my MBP. Turned out I had parallels running minimised, and it had picked up the CD drive and OSX would not register it.

13. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

No risk of sounding stupid - since I still run a PPC Mac, the thought of Parallels picking it up didn't even occur to me :)

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, took my ages to figure out that if you have parallels open then OSX has no access to the DVD drive.

15. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

No Parallels on my machine. I also tried restarting while the disc was in; sometimes that has worked for me, but to no avail this time. I guess I'll try contacting Apple to see what they say...

16. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Sometimes a defective disc will work in some players and not others. Often the better drives make more "correctness" checks and refuse non-standard discs.