Reverse Apple Product placement.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, May 22, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I just saw the strangest thing on TV.

There is an ad on here, late at night for one of those correspondence education centres - you know the ones, they send out all the material and you send in the assignments etc by post or email or whatnot.

Now, we're all used to seeing either Macs or Macs with the Apple logo covered over by a sticker right?

This ad, showed some woman using what appeared to be a Dell laptop (top hinged, 4:3 screen, UGLY etc.) with one of the Apple stickers you get with a new product stuck over the PC maker's logo on the back of the laptop screen.

I almost spat out my drink!

Talk about dodgy! There was no light coming from the logo, the logo itself was the size of my palm - oh, did I mention that the machine was in no way shape or form a Mac?

You have to wonder sometimes...
  2. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    That's really funny.

What channel was it on? I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
  3. backupdrummer macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi town
    Scary stuff.

Late at night the Dells get dressed up and go out. But everyone at the club can tell right away that under hte makup is smoldering pile of gross.
  4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I'm no expert, but that seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. Talk about defamation...:D
  5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    thats scary....

because my mum has a black toshiba laptop with a silver plastic hinged screen with an apple sticker covering the logo...

I doubt it was her, because she is a uni teacher and a nurse, and she hasn't been in ads recently.

Her workplace used to be all mac, then a new IT manager came, out went the Macs, in came the PCs. One day a virus hit. She was the only person still working that day :p

She does it more as a statement, rather than to make herself look better. We already have 3 Apple laptops at home, hers being a MacBook Pro :D