Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published another Apple patent application that describes a reversible USB connector with a "double orientation design." (Via AppleInsider) Today's patent application, filed in February and titled "Reversible USB Connector with Compliant Member to Spread Stress and Increase Contact Normal Force," differs slightly from a separate application made a few weeks earlier by highlighting a key design detail that adds flexibility to the USB connector contacts.

According to the patent description, the USB connector would feature a flexible tongue allowing it to bend to fit an existing USB port regardless of the insertion orientation. This flexible plug connector was mentioned briefly in the January patent, but Apple has expanded upon this idea in this latest patent application to address various types of support elements that would minimize stress on the flexible portion of the tongue while still ensuring strong contact between the connector and a USB port.
As mentioned previously, some plug connectors of the present invention may include structural support elements made from materials chosen to allow plug connector tongues to deflect. Connector 1610 may also include a structural support element, e.g., a structural support 1635. Structural support 1635 may provide flexure to PCB 1632 to reduce stress and fatigue on PCB 1632 and allow tongue 1630, along with PCB 1632, to deflect toward and away from first or second inner surfaces 1620a, 1620b during insertion/extraction events. In order to provide this flexure, structural support 1635 may be made from an elastomer that deforms in response to stress, e.g., a mating event, but holds tongue 1630 centrally located between first and second inner surfaces 1620a, 1620b otherwise.
As shown in the patent drawings, Apple's solution allows the contact portion of the tongue to be thicker and sturdier, while positioning it on a thinner, flexible "stalk". This stalk will deflect in either direction in order to provide room for mating with existing USB ports while maintaining a strong connection with the contacts.

apple-USB-patent-application.jpg
Apple's proposed USB connector with tongue showing durable contact portion (1939) on a thin, flexible stalk
This flexible tongue provides a distinct advantage over current solutions from competing products, which typically use a rigid tongue that has been slimmed down to fit existing USB ports. Though these cables can be inserted in either orientation, the very thin tongue is susceptible to breakage. With Apple's proposed solution, the contact portion of the tongue can be thicker and more durable, with the flexible portion of the tongue minimizing the possibility of breakage and providing room for the thicker tongue to still fit in either orientation.

Recently leaked photos and videos suggest Apple may be working on a new Lightning cable with this reversible USB connector. These cables may ship with future iOS devices and also may contain other features such as support for high-definition audio playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories.

Article Link: Apple Reveals Furthers Details on Reversible USB Cable With Flexible Internal Connector

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
This makes more sense on how it differentiates from the previously awarded patent. Kudos to Apple for improving on existing hardware.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I wonder if this will be 3.0

I would hope so. The iPad Air can transfer data faster then what USB 2.0 transfers at in the real world. So new devices with an A8 and faster NAND could benefit from USB 3.0.

shubie

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
I know it's just a cable, but I'm pretty excited for this whole reversible USB thing to start showing up.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple may be working on a new Lightning cable with this reversible USB connector. These cables may ship with future iOS devices and also may contain other features such as support for high-definition audio playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories.

Can't see how this is anything but good news. As long as the connector is not too fragile.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, looks a bit vulnerable to me.. after repeated insertions, that flexible stalk must be susceptible to snapping.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I'm running about equal parts "this is such a fabulous idea" and "that connector is going to break so fast."

Really not sure how to feel about this.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
"...the contact portion of the tongue can be thicker and more durable, with the flexible portion of the tongue minimizing the possibility of breakage and providing room for the thicker tongue to still fit in either orientation."

I can definitely think of entirely different scenarios in which this would be useful.

:D

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Really? You think a flexible, moving part would reduce breakage?

In theory, it'll reduce breakage in the sense that people are trying to force them cord into the port upside down. If it just flexes instead of having a movable joint or hinge, it'll be fine.

Some of you amaze me with your armchair engineering. You think Apple would release a cable like this and then afterwards being all like, "OMG we totally forgot this could break since it moves! Why didn't we consider this and design something more durable!"

Just wait for the damn thing to be released, and if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to use it. There are plenty of 3rd-party normal cords out there. I, for one, will be happy to use a USB cable that works without having to attempt insertion 3 times.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Trying to figure out why the write up reference's 1600's yet the diagram shows everything in the 1900's.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would hope so. The iPad Air can transfer data faster then what USB 2.0 transfers at in the real world. So new devices with an A8 and faster NAND could benefit from USB 3.0.

With 128GB iPhones on the horizon, I would hope so! Syncing that much data from iCloud Drive would be really fun when you go to setup a new device.

macguyindc

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Duh

"Really? You think a flexible, moving part would reduce breakage?"

People. The flexible moving part could be made with LiquidMetal which allow this to function flawlessly without breaking.

Sheesh...when are you people going to stop having negative knee jerk reactions to news?

I can't wait for this to roll out.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Why can't Apple just ditch the metal housing altogether and just have the tongue like so many USB flash-drives these days?

Does the metal housing serve any real purpose? (ground maybe?)

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
patent workaround

I seem to recall something about there being a patent on the reversible version (sold by Tripp, I think).

Maybe the flexible thingie would avoid infringing that patent?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It would seem this would have to be an FRAND patent, as regular USB connectors are so annoying as to make this essential for all types of cables.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
If the flexible stalk is make of high quality steel which is treated properly it should be as sturdy as any current plastic one way versions and get very good life.

Now if only the cables didn't fray like mad! THEY NEEED BETTER PLASTIC SHIELDING APPLE PLEASE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.