Reverting from Tiger to Panther?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chaszmyr, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I got the Tiger SDK at WWDC and installed it that day on my PowerBook and have been using it ever since. For a variety of reasons I have decided I need to reinstall Panther to suit my needs though. So here is the problem:

If I try to reinstall from the Panther CD it says "Cannot install OS X. A newer version is already installed" or something to that effect. Disk Utility doesnt seem to want to let me reformat the drive. How can I revert to Panther?

2. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I seem to have figured it out now... Let's hope I'm right, how frustrating.

EDIT: wonderful... Now i can't install because there is no older version of OSX installed. I'm thinking maybe restore discs... but I can't find the restore discs. Even if I did find them and they did work, my restore discs would be Jaguar

3. ibook_g4_user macrumors newbie

Why not install tiger on your iPod instead of your harddrive, then you could go back to panther whenever u wanted.

4. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If that's possible, I wasn't aware.

On the bright side. I did find my jaguar recovery dics. This will be a pain to install all of this stuff again, but atleast my computer has an OS now lol

5. mkaake macrumors 65816

i <sort of> know how you feel - when i got my emac (refurb) it came with software restore discs for 10.2, and upgrade discs for 10.3.
    upon putting the 10.3 discs in, i decided i wanted a small partition as a 'scratch disk' of sorts to fiddle with the OS, and possibly run 10.2 on.

Unfortunately, once the installer loaded up, and I went to the disc utility and partitioned my drive, I could no longer upgrade to 10.3, because I didn't have a previous version installed. so I had to completely re-install 10.2 on the machine before I could put 10.3 on. a little frustrating.

and you'd think i'd have learned my lesson. when I went to upgrade my (smaller) partition from 10.2 to 10.3, I wanted to make sure i started from scratch, so I went to the disk utility and erased the partition.

oops. had to re-install 10.2 on it to install 10.3

Seems like they'd make the installer disc so that if you put the CD in, and a drive was compatible with the update, it would still be compatible after you did your stuff with the included disc utility...

</rant>