Review: CoolBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chendo, Feb 11, 2007.

1. chendo macrumors member

Nov 18, 2006
    I bit the bullet today and purchased CoolBook.

It's been activated but I haven't rebooted yet cause I'm still doing work.

I'll update this post when I have some results.

Finally got it installed after a few hiccups. After first initial reboot, OS X said it didn't load properly for some reason. I tried loading manually with kextload, said something about permissions or ownership. Reinstall + reboot fixed that.

TAKE THESE RESULTS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. This is my first review of anything, ever. And I probably suck at benchmarking/testing, so there.

Some info:

I have a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 15", only upgrade is the extra 1gb stick of RAM.

I use Fan Control, Base Speed is 2000 RPM, Lower threshold: 50C, Upper: 80C. Usual idle temp is 55C. Ambient temperature is 29.5C at the moment. I use MenuTemperature to monitor CPU temperature.

At full CPU normally, fans ramp up to 6000 RPM and then temperature stays average at 73C after initial spiking up to 82C.

I realise I should have tested my MBP more thoroughly earlier but I didn't bother.

Test 1: Clock speed set to 1002mhz (1.0ghz) and voltage to 0.95v. Then I had two instances of 'yes > /dev/null' running, and the temp rose slowly to 60C, when the fans kicked in slightly, and now it's hovering at 58C.

Verdict: Undervolting and underclocking most certainly worked, with fans not breaking 3500 RPM and temp still not breaking 60C.

Test 2: (IN PROGRESS) Attempt to find ideal lowest voltage for highest frequency and see how it fares.

Started off with 2.16ghz/1.1v. When maxed out, temperature hit 67C, with fans hovering at 4400 RPM. A definite improvement already with a 6C temperature drop and 1600 less RPM for the fans.

Second try was 2.16ghz/1.05v. At max, temp was 65C, fans hovering at 4170 RPM. Another 2C off.

2.16ghz/1.00v: When putting load on the CPU, around three seconds later it crashed and rebooted.

2.16/1.025v: Temperature hit 65C, fan RPM hovering at 4150. Not much of a change, really.

2.16/1.0125v: Temp is 63C, RPM 4050. Slight drop, but then crashed after I hit 'Save' on this post.

I'd probably stay at 1.025v for stability.

Verdict: Works quite well at dropping your temperature and fan speed.

Test 3: (HALF COMPLETE) Test battery life with 1.0Ghz/0.95v.

Brightness on 1 bar, wireless, bluetooth off, connected to the internet, Firefox, Adium, iTerm, MiniBatteryLogger on and it's giving me around 3:30 at the moment. I don't have time to time it exactly how long it takes to die, so it'll have to wait.

Test 4: (NOT COMPLETE) Test battery life with 2.16Ghz/XXXv.

Test 5: XBenches.
    1.0ghz/0.95v: 64.04
    2.16ghz/1.1v: 108.00
    More to be added later.
    Comments/suggestions/ideas for more tests?
  2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    Hmm. Interesting. Does it by any chance work the other direction?
  3. chendo thread starter macrumors member

Nov 18, 2006
    Eh, what do you mean?

EDIT: Realised what you mean. No, you can't overclock... limits are set by Intel.
  4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006

do some xbench tests at different speeds/ voltages.